Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 05-12-2006 , 02:32 PM
thanks Jay - user added image - I'd like to see that 8 poly ear mate. Not sure about the hair as it will be my first attempt. I saw a tutorial on 3d total that I might try out. I should also have a look back over your thread.

cheers for the good info gster - I'll definitely check out that thread.

started this new head over the last few days while I wait for the laptop.

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 24-12-2006 , 01:48 AM
Hello - It's been a while since I posted, but I have finally got my laptop back from the manufacturer and I am pleased to say that my work is intact, so this year has not been a total waste!

Here is an update on my project - I actually did most of this about a month and a half ago - I attached the hands and remodelled the foot and adjusted a few things here and there. I still need to sort out the shoulders and back and a few other areas.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 24-12-2006 , 01:50 AM
Here is a close up on the feet - they are pretty much taken straight from Steven Stahlberg's foot tutorial.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 24-12-2006 , 01:54 AM
oh yeah, happy holidays everyone!

Don't drink too much and if you do, remember: the best cure for a hangover is more alcohol! seriously.

user added image user added image user added image

# 35 24-12-2006 , 02:28 AM
hahah, happy holidays to u too user added image

The model's looking really nice! Can't find a thing to crit!

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 36 24-12-2006 , 02:30 AM
cheers Mr Matt - have a good one mate!user added image

# 37 24-12-2006 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Awesome feet mate. Good work on the breasts too. The arms look a tad sharp in places but everything looks to be in the right place, and im pretty sure it's just because they are still fairly low poly. Keep it up man.

:bow:

# 38 24-12-2006 , 04:44 AM
thanks petrol - yeah the arms and legs still need a bit more work - and I'm not going to show you the shoulder blades as the edge loops are scary! user added image

# 39 24-12-2006 , 10:16 PM
I have said it before but I am really glad to see someone trying a more original take on the female form in 3d. Not to mention the fact that things are looking superb mate.

Keep it up and I will be looking forward to more updates on this over the new year.

# 40 25-12-2006 , 04:57 AM
Subscriber
Hi Arran, merry xmas.

The toes look good, but the rest of the foot need more work in terms of the loops. Not sure if the intention is to create some bumps or something, but I think it can be cleaner.

just keep tweaking, and tweaking, and tweaking user added image

# 41 25-12-2006 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber
hey arran, i like the girl model alot ... wondering if you were going to animate it or not?

marlon

# 42 27-12-2006 , 12:33 PM
thanks for the comments everyone. user added image

Minstrel - thanks for the good words mate. I definately agree that the edge loops still need some work, a lot of work in fact. I am still a bit up in the air about the whole n-sided polygon thing. I like to keep everything clean and 4 sided, but it doesn't seem to be essential. I think it's just a case of trial and error.

marlonjohn - I don't have any definate plans for an animation. At the moment I am just focussing on modeling and textures.

small update - I have been adding detail on the arms and legs and just pushing things around here and there.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 27-12-2006 at 08:05 PM.
# 43 27-12-2006 , 12:36 PM
And here is a shot of the back. The shoulder blades are looking a bit better (I think) - still need to add some detail to the back of the arms and also get rid of some annoying pointy bits.

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 10-01-2007 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
This is looking good, I've been wanting to try and model a woman and I've been getting the grasp of the organic male modeling but I was wondering. The breasts, do you have to make them out of a seperate object and then connect 'em to the body or do you/did you mold them from the body?

# 45 11-01-2007 , 02:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I'd recommend extruding them from the mesh itself, as simply as possible then add detail later as always

Cheers
Jay