Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-11-2006 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber

Feature film modeling Kurt Boutilier Tuts

I've been checking out some of Kurt Boutilier's tuts, which are easy to follow, and great for learning all the basics in Maya. My question is in regard to feature film work. I've animated professionally, and at Disney and Sony, for the purposes of productions we have to make all faces of our character models and hard bodied objects as square and similar in size as possible.
Does anyone know if Kurt has done any tuts that address specific technical needs in production modeling like the above issue with faces etc.

Thanks,

L

# 2 06-11-2006 , 01:44 PM
Hi Larry, I'm not 100% sure but you can email him personally and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to talk to you about it. His email should be in his signature so just find a post by him.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 06-11-2006 , 04:57 PM
Hi Larry, great question... In most of my modeling tuts I try to keep all the faces as close to the same size whether I'm working on soft or hard models. Keeping a very clean and workable mesh is very important to show new and older members. It might not be the biggest concern though in some of the tutorials since they are geared towards beginners who just want to learn how to create basic shapes. I probably don't mention it enough since it's sort of automatic too. If I recall, in the more detailed tuts I do try to talk about the importance of spacing and proper topology.

As of right now, I don't have any tutorials that deal with specific technical needs in production but after reading your question, I will try to make a point of discussing them more in my tutorials.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb