Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-11-2006 , 07:15 PM

Emblem

# 2 18-11-2006 , 01:45 PM

# 3 18-11-2006 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, yeah. Problem understood.

Well, it really depends on the use that this object will have. Will it be seen from side on? Is it going to be hi or lo poly?

I guess you could either create some text or curves, bevel plus or whatever it's called and then attach to flat band.

Or, If you're willing to accept a somewhat cheaper solution, then you'd just use displacement or bump maps.

I've included a couple of files for you to have a look at.

Instructions.
----------------
1) Create a new scene.
2) Create a poly plane - 2.56 x 1.28 units
3) Rotate 90 in X
4) Create new blin
5) Map colour to Enhzflep Colour.jpg
6) Map bump to Enhzflep Bump.jpg
7) Render

I've included the bump, colour and finished image files.

Just remember - I've only used 2 levels for the bump. White and black. The files are jpgs, hence the artifacts.
Total time spent is 5 mins including this post. You'll achieve something much nicer after some time and efort.

Good Luck.

Attached Files
File Type: zip bumpmappedlogo.zip (41.9 KB, 143 views)
# 4 04-12-2006 , 08:41 AM

# 5 04-12-2006 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
I'm guessin' that both objects just dissapear?

Well, there's a way around that. You can cut out the outside hole and then cut out the inside peice from another copy of the same geometry, before putting it into the hole already created.

I've included a file for you to have a look at.

On the left side is a maple leaf and a cylinder, and on the right is a slightly smaller leaf, and a cylinder.

Go about it thus:

MAKING THE HOLE
1) Select the left leaf and do Polygons->Seperate
2) Select the cylinder and one of the 7 parts
3) Do a boolean->Difference
4) Repeat steps 2&3 for all 7 parts of the leaf on the left

MAKING THE FLOATING PART INSIDE THE HOLE
1) Select the right cylinder
2) press Shift-D 6 times, so there's one cylinder for each of the 7 parts of the leaf. DO NOT MOVE THEM.
3) Select a cylinder, select a leaf part, do boolean->intersection
4) Repeat step 3 for each of the 7 leaf parts and cylinders.
5) Select these 7 leaf-parts and combine them. Notice they're no-longer flat.

You should now have a cylinder on the left with a maple leaf shape cut out of it. On the right you should have a maple leaf that's slightly smaller that the hole.

I picked a shape a little too complex to work nicely, but give it a go and you'll see how to go about it.

Simon.
Btw, I've included these instructions in the zip file, for offline use.

Attached Files
File Type: zip brechtbooleanmb.zip (150.5 KB, 129 views)
# 6 05-12-2006 , 10:53 PM
WAUW, thanks! That worked out real well. And if I wanted to "extrude" it? If you know what I mean. The figure needs to come out of the bracelet. Example picture: https://boutique.ieo.fr/images/bracelet_etain_dv113.jpg
That shiny metal has to be the leaf in my bracelet. (You've got the dark spot, and then you've got the kinda "extruded" light metal shiny thing)

Greetings Brecht

# 7 06-12-2006 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
:attn:
Alright, another happy customer..

I won't even bother trying to explain how to go about this one here. I found it hard enough to write the instructions to what I'd just done, let alone try to follow them without a picture.

Soooo, I've done about the same thing as last time, with two exceptions.

1) I've just done it and left a copy of the geometry from nearly all the steps in the workspace.

2) I've included the instructions in the scene file. Select the Welcome Back object and go to the attribute editor. Select the "WelcomeBackShape" tab and check out the directions in the notes pane down the bottom.

Simon.

ps - hope RAR isn't a problem. Zip came out to over 500kb!

Attached Files
File Type: rar brechtbracelet.rar (198.1 KB, 157 views)
# 8 06-12-2006 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
Only one attachment per message, so here's what it looks like.

Simon

EDIT: Meant to say I dunno what happened to the B though, must've been the fairies...:p

Attached Images
# 9 06-12-2006 , 12:37 AM
two words:

displacement map.

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 06-12-2006 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
Three words:

Already told him..

# 11 06-12-2006 , 02:47 AM
Lol, I'm sorry but I'm very precise about these kinda things. When I want it that way, it's going to be that way.
Anyhow, thanks for supporting me, I'll post my result here if you like (I can't model right now, need to sleep and school tomorrow, then I can)

Greetings Brecht

# 12 06-12-2006 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
user added image
Notta problem my friend.

No missunderstandings here, I knew you were aware of the other method NeoStrider suggested, but were more concerned about a way of doing it with geometry.

Besides, it's by understanding the various methods available that one is able to make a decision on the most appropriate method for the task at hand.

I mean, if we didn't need to learn from experience, then school would be about nothing other than reading - we wouldn't need to 'waste' our time with practical work. It is experience that gives us the knowledge required to make the best decisions.

Anybody can teach, but the thing that sets apart the truly great teachers is that they are prepared to adopt the lessons to suit the student, whereas the standard model is to expect the student to learn what they're being taught, the way it is being taught. Regardless of the suitability of the method to the students.

Simon.

Note to Neostrider: Sorry I was a little terse mate. No hard feelings intended..