Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-12-2006 , 12:37 PM

Texturing/Rendering

Hello everyone
Say I got this bracelet, and I want the borders to be gold (those borders are different parts so don't worry about that), and the mid-part to be copper.
How would I do this best? To make the parts look like gold and copper. No HDRI. It must look good in all perspectives because it needs to be used in a game.

Greetings Brecht

# 2 08-12-2006 , 12:49 PM
Senior Software Developer
The way you approach the texturing of these objects will be down to the game engine. Please check what the engine supports with regards to the textures.

Most engines support the basics. but if you are looking for good reflections then the indie engines are limited to these more advanced features.

I would get a texture file (gif, jpg, png - these are engine specific) for both gold and copper (try the Autodesk "The-Area" Website, get a bronze membership (It's free) and search the metals for the ones you are looking for), UV map them onto the geometry via a Blinn or Phong Material, to get you sum reflectivity, and test it in the engine.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 08-12-2006 , 01:22 PM
i think with gold or copper i'd use an anisotropic shader, but that's just me.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 08-12-2006 , 01:29 PM
And how do I get/apply that shader, I'm so nooby user added image

# 5 08-12-2006 , 04:47 PM
Senior Software Developer
Thats OK, we all start somewhere. Have a look at the Maya Help FIles and go through the tutorials. It teaches the basics on Modelling and creating shaders etc...

Or try these links for free video tutes...

Number One
Number Two
Number Three

One is the SM tute on Texture Basics
Two is the SM Tute on Alpha Channels
Three is a Search on the DT site for tutes based on texturing

Hope it helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)