Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-12-2006 , 08:39 AM

Bear

Continuing my bear thread

Problem with union:
user added image
Before union

user added image
After union

Greetings Brecht

# 2 10-12-2006 , 08:50 AM
This is always going to happen if you just use booleans in a raw fashion like that. I suggest having a look at kurt's cartoon dog tutorial (free one) and taking out the bits you need to learn from that.

# 3 10-12-2006 , 09:23 AM
Done the front leg first now, here are a few pics:
user added image
user added image

Greetings Brecht
Please post comments

# 4 10-12-2006 , 09:52 AM
Update on the bear model:
user added image
user added image

Greetings Brecht

# 5 10-12-2006 , 10:42 AM
Is it possible to lower the polygon count from an object you already converted?

Greetings Brecht

# 6 10-12-2006 , 10:59 AM
Senior Software Developer
I would not lower the poly count any further that it already is. You may comprimise the integrity of the geometry. You have 2 areas that Ican see that need the tris taken out and quads added...

The Shoulder on the front legs you have 2 egdes coming off one and splitting ad quad into a tri. My suggestion would be to remove thos 2 edges and continue the edge already there to the top of the body.

The Shoulder on the rear hind quarters has a lot more triangulation that really is not need there. Do the same as above remove them and try to get the geometry into as many quads as possible. All in all it looks quite clean so far.

My only crit of the shape is the hind quarters... The rear leg does not rise far enough up and ends rather abruptly. As suggested before, grab Kurts free Cartoon Dog tute and see how he creates the hind legs.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 12-12-2006 , 06:26 AM
I've got a problem with my fur, tested to see if all went well.
Got this:
user added image
What can I do to fix this?

Greetings Brecht

# 8 12-12-2006 , 06:37 AM
Before you use Fur you need to lay out your UV maps, I would finish modeling first prior to attempting laying out the UV maps and attempting fur.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle