Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-12-2006 , 11:42 AM
Simply Maya OG

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Spongebob Squarepants! Hey guys, I got bored, so I decided to make Spongebob. Im having problems with UV textureing. EVERYTHING is in Sub-D's so far. How do I cut a Sub-D object in half? Like on his pants. I want to make his pants and shirt two seperate objects. Right now, its all one object. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 2 22-12-2006 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber
Gday, nice model.

Well, the way I go about it comes from Kurt.

1) I convert the nurbs to polygons - make sure you use the control vertex option for this operation
2) Copy the object a number of times
3) Setect all the faces that you don't want on each model and delete. i.e on one model, select all faces except his pants. selete these. on the next, delete all excepts his shirt. and so on.
4) Now you can uv map and texture the individual objects
5) Convert the poly models back to subds and hit 3 in the view port with easch piece selected.

Note: There's no real need that I can see to cut the model up to do the texturing. I'd be inclined to just convert to polys, uv map and texture then convert back. Something that is worth noting is that after you've layed out all of the uvs, you can convert the model back to subds before doing the uv snapshot. This will save the uvmap with the (for lack of a better word) isoparams that subd models have, rather than the straight lines of polygonal models.

I've found it usefull to use this method when the geometry is quite light and the conversion back to subds causes the textures to move on the object as the polygonal boundaries are converted into curvy 'isoparms'.

The 'isoparms' are still displayed as straight lines in the uv editor but it still makes for a better result IMHO than using a polymodel for the uvsnapshot.

# 3 22-12-2006 , 12:28 PM
Well, I think enhzflep gave a great answer, and I have nothing to add. But, I do have some suggestions about the model.

First, I think the arms and fingers are a bit to thick. The legs, however, look much better. I'd say to give the arms the same thickness as the legs, and you'd have an awesome Sponge.

Next, I'd give his cheeks a bulge, but since you aren't done with the face, I'll wait until you do an update.

Awesome idea, though! I love.....ahem.....like Spongebob.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 4 22-12-2006 , 02:04 PM

Originally posted by enhzflep
Gday, nice model.
1) I convert the nurbs to polygons - make sure you use the control vertex option for this operation

Mind that if you convert to polygons you loose all sub-d-specific things like creased edges etc.

# 5 22-12-2006 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
Hello,

that really depends on how it's converted to polys, if you use adaptive you will retain the topology but the poly count may be elevated quite a bit depending on how much you've used the edge crease tool.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 6 23-12-2006 , 07:15 AM
Simply Maya OG
The only reason why I want to cut the pants/shirt in half is because Im having a hell of a time UV mapping it. It wont let me go into Polygon mode, so I have no idea. I just wanted to cut it to make it easier to UV map. I could just convert it over to Polys, then UV map it, then convert back over to Sub-D's......and now that I do sit back and look at it, his hands/arms are too thick...Ill fix that up, and have an update tomorrow, because Im not working tomorrow, so Ill have all the time in the world.

- Hybrid
# 7 23-12-2006 , 07:16 AM
Simply Maya OG
erictacti - where in NY are you? Im out in Queensbury, 30 minutes from Albany. Good to see a fellow NY'er here on SM. user added image

- Hybrid
# 8 23-12-2006 , 12:43 PM
Simply Maya OG
Ok, I basically finished Mr. SquarePants. Did his mouth, and made his hands/arms smaller. Opinions?

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 9 24-12-2006 , 07:34 AM
Haha thats so cool. His nose makes me laugh. Reminds me of Pinocchio. I like the hands, gives it a nice cartoonist feel. Are you going to model his house and Patrick's and Squidwards? that'd be awesome!

https://zoharblur.deviantart.com/
# 10 24-12-2006 , 09:30 AM
I like it, it's got character user added image

Only thing to comment on is the hands... thats all

user added image

Merry christmas user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 11 26-12-2006 , 02:28 PM
man youve been saying you were going to model spongebob for what.. 2 years or so? glad you actually did it.

Oh and for seperating i usually convert to polys, select the faces i want to seperate and click polygons>Extract to form 2 seperate objects

# 12 26-12-2006 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
Only thing thats missing imo is the green dots which is I think supposed to be where the swiss-cheese-style holes are in sponges. If you get me. :p

Cool though user added image

# 13 26-12-2006 , 02:39 PM
Senior Software Developer
Nice Work, Bob is cool.

I would bring the base of the nose in to match the thinkness of the tip and use a nice Bump map to simulate the sponge effect. Displacement would be better, but will take forever to get right and render. Also I agree about the hand they are to square near the wrist.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 14 26-12-2006 , 02:46 PM
i dunno, i'd boolean out a bunch of deformed spheres *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 15 27-12-2006 , 02:36 AM
Simply Maya OG
thanx for all the comments guys. If I tried to boolean out the holes...itd take forever, and it screw up the geometry. Booleans are horrible on geometrys. Right now, the geometry is damn near perfect. Im trying to do all his holes with a texture/bump map, but its not working all that great.....

- Hybrid