Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-12-2006 , 11:31 PM

Possible shortcuts to lock objects?

I know that one can make an object a template to make it unselectable.

Is there any shortcut to it? How can I assign a simple shortcut key to lock and unlock?

Something like how Adobe Illustrator does it. For locking, it's CTRL+2. Unlocking, it's CTRL+ATL+2.

# 2 28-12-2006 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Well, the two commands that you want are:

Template Object ====> toggle -state on -template
Untemplate Object ====> toggle -state off -template

If you go into the Hotkey editor, you can assign keys to the commands there. (Windows->Settings/Prefferences->Hotkeys...)

The commands are found in the Display section of the hotkey editor. To assign a key, select the command you'd like executed. Then enter the key you'd like to perform that action and assign. Simple as that.

Just be carefull to check what the key does before reassigning it. On my system, @ and # are free (shift 2 and shift 3)

Last edited by enhzflep; 28-12-2006 at 12:35 AM.
# 3 31-12-2006 , 11:43 PM
Hi, thanks.
Didn't realise that there's the Template/Untemplate in the Display menu.

The Untemplate command works only when I'm in the Hierarchy->Template mode, by clicking the square buttons.

Is there a shortcut to go into that mode, select all then Untemplate?

# 4 01-01-2007 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
'ello! That's okay - the way I figure it, you can't use what you don't have, but you can always disregard what you don't need... As such, more is more.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow you when you refer to the Heirachy->Template Mode, so please excuse me if this is a dumb-ass response.user added image

I'd kinda forgotten about that, that once templated it's not nearly as quick to untemplate an object, on account of having to use the outliner or hypergraph to select the templated objects.

I just use layers to do what I think you're asking about.
When you open the channel box, you get a second window at the bottom with a radio-button to select either Display or Render. Display being the default. (use the third icon from the left at the top of the channel box if you dont have two windows in the channel box side-bar)

a)Click on the icon with the square and the yellow thing.
b)Double click on the newly created text, "layer1"
c)Call it whatever takes your fancy e.g TemplateLayer
d)Select all the objects that you'd like to be able to template/untemplate at the same time e.g the whole rig, or the model's skin
e)Hold the right mouse button over the TemplateLayer text in the layer editor and choose Add Selected Objects.
f)Try clicking on the box with the V in it (visibility) or the blank box next to it to cycle through T, R and blank (Template, Reference, nothing)

I use this particularly for image planes, since it's a nice easy way to turn on/off front/back or top/bottom or left/right reference pics. It also makes selecting joints inside a skinned model a hell of a lot easier.

In a pic:

Attached Images
# 5 01-01-2007 , 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I've also used the method you explained eariler for hiding imageplanes.

I think there's no other one-key shortcut to unlock/untemplate all the objects.

But there's an option in the preferences that enable a popup to show items' name when the mouse hovers over a series of blocked-in-view objects.

The hierachy->Template mode shown in the pix below.

Attached Images
# 6 01-01-2007 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
Ah, cool. Thanks for pic.

I guess you could put together a MEL for checking the templated or locked status for all objects in the scene, before toggling them all or setting them true or false.

It's 3:30 in the morning here and I feel about as sharp as a bowling ball right now, the best I can offer is that perhaps this has been covered in a MEL/Scripting thread somewhere either on this board or another. CGSociety is pretty comprehensive at technical issues, I'd be inclined to look there for a solution myself. If not already covered, I'd be surprised if somebody there couldn't provide a more satisfactory answer.

Simon.