Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 02-12-2002 , 06:30 PM
Subscriber
agp 8x is not a good upgrade... it is good to have a 8x compatible motherboard.. but the bandwidth you get out a 8x graphics card is not that high..... even the Ti4600 can hardly reach the 4x bandwidth speed.... the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro is an 8x card... but the bandwidth is as almost nearly same as the 4x Ti4600.. the Radeon is a bit higher... making it only a marketting gimmick..user added image... the 8x bandwidth is only an infant right now... have to wait for 4-5 months till the graphics card manf.. really push the cards to the 8x's limits... my simple answer: nah!!! it wont make it a big difference...

# 17 02-12-2002 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
d00d this is gunna be a next gen gfx card user added image i think by the time nvidia release it, the 8x will be so extremely fast, but thats just what i think user added image and if that is the case, then id lose out on a lot of the speed of the FX, so its pointless to wait and pay that much for something you cant utilise fully

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 18 02-12-2002 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber
aehm nem, are you really not understanding what the big bandwith is used for? basically only for games where you travel in an instant from one texture full room to the next. but when you work in maya, you are so slow, that it hurts. you cannot build a complete room in an eyeblink. when you rotate your stuff around, only the information that it gets rotated needs transfered. and you wont be fast enough to load the images for new textures fast enough. so the speedup you will see is not from the bandwidth but from the faster render capabilities in the maya viewports. (or do you need the fx for something else than maya too?? i hope not user added image )

hope that helps

# 19 02-12-2002 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber
yeah i understand that user added image but what im saying is its great in games, but i dont why it would be sooooo slow in maya, my gf2 isnt that slow in maya

- Simon

# 20 02-12-2002 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Nem
... my gf2 isnt that slow in maya

oh i have a gf2 too. and it works. but if the scene gets a bit more complex then i cannot rotate nurbs in detail 3 effective any more. i think partly it is the slow vid card. especally in shaded w/ hardware ligthing user added image

# 21 02-12-2002 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
oh ok, but a GF FX would be faster than a GF2 obviously, but ur saying it would still be pain stakingly slow, why? thats what i dont get
i wud have expected the FX to be somewhere between the gf4 and the quadro 4

- Simon

# 22 02-12-2002 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
nope, it will be fast. i think the slow performance is due to the outdated gf2.

the bottleneck is no longer the vid cards, but that no cpu can even fully drive enough information even to a gf4 would be capapablee to handle. so 8x agp will only be advantage if the cpu has not to do much to deliver the 3d data ...

# 23 02-12-2002 , 11:10 PM
I need a new graphics card.

hell I need a whole new system.

user added image

# 24 02-12-2002 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
are there any times when 8x AGP will be a disadvantage?

would you say the GF FX is more like a geforce or more like a quadro?

do you think the FX will make a good workstation/gaming card?

sorry for all the questions user added image

- Simon

# 25 02-12-2002 , 11:54 PM
A GF FX from what I have read up about it (I'm buying a new system soon) is gonna wipe the floor with just about everything out there in gaming terms. And I'm pretty sure that the card will handle maya very capably. However I'm not sure what the price will be but I'm sure it will be upwards of £300 (GBP) and for that price you could upgrade a CPU and buy a GF4. As BabyDuck has said there are not really any CPUs that can push a high end graphics card.

So my main point is that can you justify to yourself and your wallet the cost of a GF FX and as was already mentioned it'll be outdated in 6months.

I would buy the highest spec GF4 / Radeon that you can afford and use what's left to upgrade other components.

To answer your question 8x agp shouldn't ever be a disadvantage in the near future unless it raises compatibility issues with your other hardware. But if that's the case it is backwards compatible so you can knock it down to 4x.
Sorry to ramble! user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 26 03-12-2002 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber
agp 8x is a good upgrade... but not very big.... but i am sure it will kick ass in the next expansion of the Graphics card series from nVidia... i heard that the nVidia company spend 28.8 million in this card research.. damn!! is that hard to beleive..

# 27 03-12-2002 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
28.8 million on the GF FX? or their NEXT chipset?

- Simon

# 28 03-12-2002 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
i donno... i read it in an article about the nVidia FX.. mayb their next chipset..user added image

# 29 03-12-2002 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
most like the FX is its about the nvidia FX user added image
cant even imagine what they did with 28.8mil! mayb they got really hungry and had to buy loadsa bagels, who knows

ok, alright, just to sum up, whos waiting for the FX?

- Simon

# 30 03-12-2002 , 11:36 PM
SM Alumni
According to HardOCP (though not sure how much i trust this site...) Nvidia spent over 4 billion USD researching and developing the NV30 and its .13 micron process. Scary stuff eh?
Hope it sells well!