Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 10-01-2007 , 08:52 AM
Subscriber
very nice m8!
the skull is very clean keep it up

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 17 10-01-2007 , 12:50 PM
yeah, this is looking great! No crits from me.user added image

# 18 11-01-2007 , 01:52 AM
Cheers guys,

Originally posted by tweetytunes
[B]
Any ideas on how to keep the parts togeather if you win the prize
(you know the whole one mesh thing)
B]

What I'm going to do is make sure that they are all interconnecting, for example the teeth intersect the Jaw and the Jaw interscets the skull, (same with the hands) as in the 3d art to part they said that interconnecting geometry will be interpreted by the machine as one piece and be made as such. So you can have different parts (different meshes) but as long as the interconnect or overlap they will come out as one.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 11-01-2007 , 02:42 AM
Subscriber
that is cool news - I must have missed that bit. thats going to make my project so much easyer (with the snakes on the head) cheers

# 20 11-01-2007 , 04:00 AM
19 year Veteran
The skull is looking really good!user added image After the comp, you should texture it!:p

# 21 11-01-2007 , 06:23 AM
Cheers Man, Might texture it all when its done, if it turns out ok then i def will, probably using Z brush to paint it as i've never done that before.

Heres a little update, i've posed the right arm and just positioned the skull into an "area" and a pose that I want, need to block out the cloak before I finalise the postions.

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 11-01-2007 , 06:24 AM
Bit of a closer look.

Any comments on the pose so far would be great.

Cheers Guys

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 11-01-2007 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber
I feel the eye would be better in the other socket, but apart from that looks great.

Love the look on his face (skull)

# 24 11-01-2007 , 07:04 AM
Maybe you sholud put a crack or a hall on the skull. It will look coll

goksimaster
# 25 11-01-2007 , 08:52 AM
Cheers for the comments, I might change the eye over, as it might work better with the corner being on the side it is (I just put it on that side when I got the idea. I tried to put some character into him as I didnt want it just to be a standard skull.

As for putting a crack into it, I might depending on my overall filesize as I think a lot of the detil will go into his cloak.

Which on that point i've started to block out, heres what i've got so far, any comments on the pose, weight distrubution, and overall look would be great at this low poly stage as it will become a right pain in the rear to alter it later on.

The other hand (that isn't in the picture yet) will hold his scythe.

Heres the frist pic.

Attached Thumbnails

# 26 11-01-2007 , 08:53 AM
2nd back picture, as always comments and crits very much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

# 27 11-01-2007 , 09:21 AM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with tweety, move it to the left socket. He looking the way that suggests his left eye is peering around the corner.

I'm getting a real DiscWorld feel about it.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 28 11-01-2007 , 09:37 AM
Cheers Guys, changed it over, as per the updated image.

Hope ya like it!

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 11-01-2007 , 09:41 AM
very nice gster - this has already got a great feel to the pose.

At the moment the eye is looking a little strange to me - it almost seems to popping out, or perhaps it's not quite centered. Are you just going to have one eye?

The skull is looking excellent - I was thinking a crack might be cool too, depending on the space that you have.

good work mate!user added image

# 30 11-01-2007 , 09:48 AM
Cheers Arran. Might pull the socket out a little since you mention it, couldnet quite put my finger on why it looked a bit too big, but thats it!

Yeah only going to have one eye, make it a bit different form the standard thoughts on a grim reaper, im thinking its more of a magical eye, just there to direct his attention to what hes looking at, othewise in the pose (looking round the corner) no eyes might make it hard to see what he's up to and two eyes might make him look too comical, so I thought one would give a nice balance.

Also if i get chance in Z brush I might attempt to make him look half decomposed, but I doubt it as the poly count will probably end up too high (and looking on 3dart to part small details can be missed by the machine, finger nails etc, so it might be a bit pointless anyway)

R@nsid, Cheers mate, glad your gettin a discworld feel to is as that was one of my main influences (having read them since I was about 16) as I said at the start of the project.

Cheers

Last edited by gster123; 11-01-2007 at 09:50 AM.