Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-01-2007 , 07:03 AM

Web site logo

Hi guys,

I've been asked to make a logo for a new site (www.animators-anonymous.com) so I thought I'd get some help from you guys...

The basic idea so far is a disc-like logo that I plan to add a coin spin style animation to. Below is a link to the 1st animation test:-

https://www.kickarz.com/AA_logo_spin01.wmv (right click - save target as - 475 Kb)

I have also attached a test render of what the final logo may look like.

Comments are more then welcome...

Attached Thumbnails

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 2 16-01-2007 , 07:14 AM
Loos like a good start.

For me I might drop the name in the logo and just go for a logo, mainly as it looks a bit too busy with the name in there, it also makes it a bit hard to read, maybe its the transparance on the material??

For me if your going for the name to be in there I would break it up into and give the name more space so that it's the main focus to the viewer.

Just some thoughts.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-01-2007 , 08:00 AM
Senior Software Developer
I like it, but not the colour, but hey that's just me.

I Agree with gster on the name, remove it. Also the AA at the top reminds me of the American Airborne symbol from WWII. Just in-case there is any fallout from the old boys or AA organisations. Also remove the name then continue the A down and leave a gap at the bottom.

Ideas that all

The Anim is OK, but is a little bit abrupt in its end and just seems to stop...

G/L on this and have fun, its nice to get a little commission on art now and again.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 16-01-2007 , 09:28 AM
Subscriber
hey mate, arnt you a busy man :p

about the logo, the colour isnt really doing it for me aswell and is also abit to transparent/see though which is making it abit harder to read but the logo is really nice. about the test animation i really like it alot, well goodluck and hope you make the customers happy lol. cheers, marlon

# 5 16-01-2007 , 01:16 PM
Thanks for the responce guys...

gster123 - although the glass/plastic material kinda works for the AA bit itself, you are right about the text - very hard to read. I may play with colors/texures a little before I remove it completely.

R@nSiD - I had NOT seen the American Airborne logo before today (had to ask google to show me) - thats spooky! I'm now a little concerned about being SO similar. The animation needs a lot of tweeking still - it was just a test to see if I could actually pull off a coin spin. To tell you the truth, I messed about for ages with keying rotations & faking deceleration before I scrapped all that and simply tapped the edge of an active rigid softbody disc with a passive one in a scene with some gravity. (it's so simple - I'm embarrassed).

marlonjohn - busy is an understatement m8, I have something like 4 projects on the go plus my day job. I have a fair bit on today so I may not get a chance to progress on this until tonight. I think I'll just retry the animation again with the logo as is with some adjustments to the forces etc. I'll post the result when it's ready.

Thanks again,
Dave.

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 6 16-01-2007 , 01:54 PM
If you're changing the logo entirely, this might not be an issue, but... the one thing that's throwing me is the fact that while your outer circle is nice and smooth, the curves of the 'A's are straight edges.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 7 16-01-2007 , 02:11 PM
yes m8 - the A's will be smoothed out eventually. The outer ring is a nurb torus so it's already nice and smooth.

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 8 16-01-2007 , 08:40 PM
Small update:

The jagged A's are much smoother now & I've played a little with the color/texture to make it ezr to see. (still looks a lot like the American Airborne logo, so I'm still scratching my head over that one).

Also, I've just set up another coin spin simulation using the logo this time. I'll post link when it's finished rendering...

Attached Thumbnails

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 9 16-01-2007 , 08:43 PM
Oh & here is a still from the animation thats rendering atm...

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 10 17-01-2007 , 12:03 AM
ehh.... I had this thought. It might make it too 'complex' or something (not to do, but to see... you know what I mean) - make the curve of the 'A's the words 'animators' and 'anonymous'. But other than that, it looks much better now.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 11 17-01-2007 , 03:33 AM
Subscriber
great update, i like how the sides of the A's are much smooth than before.

"Also the AA at the top reminds me of the American Airborne symbol from WWII."

user added image thats is freaky, looks neally the same... all my hair's on my back jumped up when i saw that, wow.

# 12 17-01-2007 , 03:36 AM
Never seen the American Aribourn symbol, I was going to suggest if you were dropping the text to elongate the middle edges of the A's!!

That would have ended up exactly the same! Good job I looked it up before suggesting it, would have looked a right one!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 17-01-2007 , 04:16 AM
Here is the logo/image for anyone who doesn't know what I am talkin about.

user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 14 17-01-2007 , 11:24 AM
Thanks again for the comments guys. The design is way too close the the American Airborne logo to be used, so I have started sketching another version. The only thing I can think of is that I've seen it somewhere and it stuck in my head. Be it intentional or not, intellectual property rights are there for a reason and I will respect them. user added image

Moving on.... I have at last finished rendering the 2nd dynamics test:

https://www.kickarz.com/AA_logo_spin02.wmv (save target as - 1.4Mb)

Note: this is just a test and will not be used as the main logo design will be changed.

Dave.

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 15 17-01-2007 , 12:14 PM
I feel bad you have to redo.

The spinning coin/logo is 110% better. Looks good...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter