Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-02-2007 , 08:32 PM

Piano room...

What do you think? It's for a multimedia project as a main interface for a learning "site" for a middle school band class. I'll be adding buttons (not visible) to it in Flash. First, what do you think I should change?

Sparticus

Attached Thumbnails

Expect to excell...
# 2 11-02-2007 , 08:43 PM
The main lighting (the lighting that is shining on the floor in the center, bottom-left) seems a bit too bright/intense; but that's just my opinion...

# 3 11-02-2007 , 08:49 PM

Originally posted by severinianthony
The main lighting (the lighting that is shining on the floor in the center, bottom-left) seems a bit too bright/intense; but that's just my opinion...

You're right, I'll fix that tomorrow.

Expect to excell...
# 4 11-02-2007 , 08:51 PM
Jr.Who
I agree with severinianthony. Also, you need to anti-alias it.

Last edited by Jr.Who; 11-02-2007 at 09:12 PM.
# 5 11-02-2007 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
i agree with the other two user added image But the scene looks cool

keep it up user added image

# 6 11-02-2007 , 09:09 PM
Eh...this other thing is only important if you plan on making it much more realistic (apart from Jr.Who's advice to throw in some anti-aliasing, which I agree with), is to replace those sheet-music textures...I'm not sure if it's just the image I'm looking at that makes them look fuzzy and low-resolution, but I think they could do with sharper images.

https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sheet+music

# 7 11-02-2007 , 09:22 PM
The paper the music is on looks laminaited.

# 8 11-02-2007 , 10:20 PM

Originally posted by wokendreams
The paper the music is on looks laminaited.

That's just the lamp's light shining on the page.

Thanks, Severinianthony, the sheet music pictures! I'll probably replace some of those pages and anti-alias my pics more. I know the shadows are quite pixely, so I'll fix that tomorrow too.

Please continue to critique! I enjoy suggestions that can aid in the improvement of my projects. How do you like the modelling? Would you like some more pictures?

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 9 11-02-2007 , 11:04 PM
Turn down your lighting.

The thing to remember about adding lights is that light is additive. Meaning, the more you put in a scene the brighter, more intense it gets. The ideal thing to do is to attach lights to only the objects they are illuminating so that their light doesn't spill into other areas.

Especially if you're using area lights. If the light is too close to an object it will wash out the color of it. The same result if it is too bright.

Also, if this is for "band", where are the other instruments? user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 12-02-2007 , 02:29 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
That's just the lamp's light shining on the page.

Thanks, Severinianthony, the sheet music pictures! I'll probably replace some of those pages and anti-alias my pics more. I know the shadows are quite pixely, so I'll fix that tomorrow too.

Please continue to critique! I enjoy suggestions that can aid in the improvement of my projects. How do you like the modelling? Would you like some more pictures?

Sparticus

The only things you need to fix is the anti-aliasing, lights, and materials a little, the modeling looks good.

# 11 13-02-2007 , 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
The only things you need to fix is the anti-aliasing, lights, and materials a little, the modeling looks good.

Somewhat fixed...

Attached Thumbnails

Expect to excell...
# 12 13-02-2007 , 05:12 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
Somewhat fixed...

Looks better! Now all you have to do is put an image on the book to the right, and anti-alias it.

# 13 13-02-2007 , 10:12 PM
...which you can do easily by changing your render quality to 'production quality' if you're doing a software render...

Accept no substitutions.
# 14 16-02-2007 , 04:24 AM
Aye! Much better looking ^_^

Heck, I don't even know if the sheet-music textures were necessarry...just that lighting change worked beautifully user added image

# 15 16-02-2007 , 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Looks better! Now all you have to do is put an image on the book to the right, and anti-alias it.

Okay, I'll try adding a script page to the book, and see what it's like after that. All I did to fix the shadows is change their filter amount, and that made them look really smooth. It was at a one, and that left the pixelly look, and so I upped it to a four, and it looks alright. I thank you all for the comments and suggestions! Please feel free to continue the critique and in case I don't see you; good after-noon, good evening and good night!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...