Maya Training

Introduction to Hard Surface Modeling

Maya Training

Interiors and Furniture Vol 1 & 2 - Modeling & Cloth

Maya Training

Shading, Lighting and Rendering the Bedroom in MR

Maya Training

Robot volume one - Modeling with animation in mind

Maya Training

Spach-Alspaugh House the complete courseware

Maya Training

Burt The Cartoon Dinosaur Vol 01 - Modeling

New Maya Training

Robot Volume 02 - Hybrid Rigging
You are here > Home > SimplyMaya Community Forums
Loading

Welcome to Simply Maya

Please Sign in or Sign up for an account

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
jsprogg
Lifetime Member
 
jsprogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
Default

a good start ...keep it going .
jsprogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi

Thanks jsprogg

Another Update, just finished the boots and add more dettails to the jacked and get the butt more perfect

Hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails
 
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #18
mastone
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
 
mastone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

hi looking at your render i see a couple of things that i think needs some tweaking and those are;

- the chest needs more detailing, try to model the collarbones or at least a bit definition around that area.
-there's something odd going on with the legs or are those loose sitting trousers,? i cannot see it properly .

The head seems to be smoother than the body part, if you are smoothing the body-part i would delete the half of your rough model and use a mirrored smooth proxy so you will see direct result.
Even when you will not be able to smooth the model in the end due to polygon-constraints i would use this, in my experience(as little as it is:p )it will result in very clean and well defined low poly models.
good luck
mastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally posted by mastone
hi looking at your render i see a couple of things that i think needs some tweaking and those are;

- the chest needs more detailing, try to model the collarbones or at least a bit definition around that area.
-there's something odd going on with the legs or are those loose sitting trousers,? i cannot see it properly .

The head seems to be smoother than the body part, if you are smoothing the body-part i would delete the half of your rough model and use a mirrored smooth proxy so you will see direct result.
Even when you will not be able to smooth the model in the end due to polygon-constraints i would use this, in my experience(as little as it is:p )it will result in very clean and well defined low poly models.
good luck
Hi

Thanks a lot for the tips , will get better that parts latter....hope that this update get the smoothing problems done , finished a couple dettails too

Hope you like it......critics are always welcome .....hope that some of the problems you told mastone are solved, if not tell me

Best Regards

Gamester
Attached Thumbnails
 
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #20
mastone
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
 
mastone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I don't want to be such a bastard about this, but you gave me no choice:p
although your not modeling his actual body, but more the clothes on his body i would still keep the anatomy of the body in mind, since i don't have your sourceimages i've painted over your render (sorry )
As you probably can see it's a very crappy drawing, but it's just for form, so you will understand what i mean.
- try to articulate the part between neck - shoulder, shoulder-upper arm etc.
as you can see there is a lot of curvature in it.
-with the legs i would use 1 extrude al the way down and then with the split polygon tool and/or edgeloopsplits to get the detail you want around the crotch, upper leg, knee and so on.


i hope this helped, and good luck

edit; if you post a wireframe of your model then people could help you with edgeflow/ enough deformation in an early stage, so you don't have to solve any annoying problems when your animating.
Attached Thumbnails
 

Last edited by mastone : 09-03-2007 at 10:49 PM.
mastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #21
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally posted by mastone
I don't want to be such a bastard about this, but you gave me no choice:p
although your not modeling his actual body, but more the clothes on his body i would still keep the anatomy of the body in mind, since i don't have your sourceimages i've painted over your render (sorry )
As you probably can see it's a very crappy drawing, but it's just for form, so you will understand what i mean.
- try to articulate the part between neck - shoulder, shoulder-upper arm etc.
as you can see there is a lot of curvature in it.
-with the legs i would use 1 extrude al the way down and then with the split polygon tool and/or edgeloopsplits to get the detail you want around the crotch, upper leg, knee and so on.


i hope this helped, and good luck

edit; if you post a wireframe of your model then people could help you with edgeflow/ enough deformation in an early stage, so you don't have to solve any annoying problems when your animating.

Wowwww, thanks a lot for the critic mastone eheheh

But one question, are you telling to detail the body with the bones anatomy? But as you can see I'm modeling a jacket not exacly a perfect torso. And probably to add more dettail I need to add more polys and the character already have 50 polys more than the DVD.

Didn't understand exacly the legs problem

But thanks a lot, I'll try to make it better in some parts, probably the texture could solve all the problems I guess

Sorry for not posting no update in 2 days, but yesterday it was my prom and didn't have time to came in here......just party all night long ehhehehe

Already finished the hands, I'll see if a can had the dettails that mastone is saing.

Best Regards

Gamester
Attached Thumbnails
 
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #22
mastone
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
 
mastone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

No i don't mean the actual bones, more the shape of the underlaying body, for instance when you were modeling a fat person, the shirt and the jacket would bulge out round the belly, but since you're probably modeling a fairly atlethic body the shirt and jacket would 'follow' his chest and thus bulge out a little, and around the belly it would hang free..
it's the same thing with the legs around the upperleg; the trousersshould follow the underlying leg, with the lower leg the trousers would hang free because the leg is much thinner there.

And i dont think it matters much that you have 50 poly's more than the guy from the video. to be honest i think that's actual quite good, since that person is probably doing it a little bit longer than you(or me for that matter) .
Just make sure every added polygon is a needed one then you will be oke
I also (think i) saw that you moddeled an entire hand, i don't know what kinda game it will be but if it's a shooter or a gta look a like you don't have to make all the fingers maybe only trigger finger and thumb the rest could be just a clump with a texture

there are also two books i bought that you should/could buy since you're creating a game character.
There about game- modeling/animation.

the games artist guide to maya and the game animators guide to maya

I personally find it much easier to find a specific thing in a book through the index, when i'm stuck, then searching through a 4+ hour videotutorial.

In any case i wish you good luck with your project (and probably your hangover:p )
mastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #23
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally posted by mastone
No i don't mean the actual bones, more the shape of the underlaying body, for instance when you were modeling a fat person, the shirt and the jacket would bulge out round the belly, but since you're probably modeling a fairly atlethic body the shirt and jacket would 'follow' his chest and thus bulge out a little, and around the belly it would hang free..
it's the same thing with the legs around the upperleg; the trousersshould follow the underlying leg, with the lower leg the trousers would hang free because the leg is much thinner there.

And i dont think it matters much that you have 50 poly's more than the guy from the video. to be honest i think that's actual quite good, since that person is probably doing it a little bit longer than you(or me for that matter) .
Just make sure every added polygon is a needed one then you will be oke
I also (think i) saw that you moddeled an entire hand, i don't know what kinda game it will be but if it's a shooter or a gta look a like you don't have to make all the fingers maybe only trigger finger and thumb the rest could be just a clump with a texture

there are also two books i bought that you should/could buy since you're creating a game character.
There about game- modeling/animation.

the games artist guide to maya and the game animators guide to maya

I personally find it much easier to find a specific thing in a book through the index, when i'm stuck, then searching through a 4+ hour videotutorial.

In any case i wish you good luck with your project (and probably your hangover:p )
Hi

Ohhhh I finally get it what you mean ehehehhe thanks a lot......well I've pushed a little bit the zone near the belly to inside, and the legs I've make it a little slim in the knee zone....I'll not push too much because of the animation, in the DVD the instrutor gives many advices so it will be more realistic in the animations made, so if some of the parts need to be ajusted I think it would be better if they're done after I some of the animations (I've never animated a character, so I'm a little new at this)

I've already ordered the animation for games book by Mikey, but I'm leaving in Africa right now, and I've ordered to a family member in portugal and I'm only gona recieve it next week

Hehehehe, I prefer an image than a word eheheh, so for me I prefer buy a DVD than buy a book, it's much easier for me ehehhe, but I agree with you it's more easy to find what you want in a book than in a DVD

Thanks again for the comment

Can't anyone figure out the quizz puzzle? ehehehe really enjoyed figure this one out heehhe (I'm a math geek)

Divide 110 into two parts so that one will be 150 percent of the other. What are the 2 numbers?

Already start UV Mapping the character.......just a pic so you see how it's becoming
Attached Thumbnails
 
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #24
mastone
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
 
mastone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 1
Thanked 59 Times in 58 Posts
Default

i actually suck at math so this will probably be wrong; is/are the answer(s)82,5 and 27,5?
mastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #25
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally posted by mastone
i actually suck at math so this will probably be wrong; is/are the answer(s)82,5 and 27,5?
EHehehehhe, nop 82,5 isn't 150% of 27,5 ehhehe

Try to create a equation with the information I've gived you
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
DJbLAZER
Registered User
 
DJbLAZER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 1,318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

x + 1.5y - 110 = 0

However, I can't remember how to solve that equation right now... too tired... have to.... sleeeeep.... zzZz zzz
DJbLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #27
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HEehehhe, almost there DjBlazer, try to create another equation

You have 2 letters in the equation, so you need to create another equation to get rid of one the letters and find the pretended numbers :attn:

Best Regards

Gamester
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi

Finished the UV_Mapping :attn:

I'll stop doing the character for a wille cause my collegues from my team project are asking me some 3D objects, so I'll start helping them and probably will start modeling the scenario

My photoshop skills are very lame, so I'll start seing some tutorials and learn the best I can in this time

Hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails
 
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #29
NeoStrider
Registered User
 
NeoStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio (USA)
Posts: 1,541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

it should be something like:

x + 1.5x = 110...

2.5x = 110

x = 44, so the numbers are 44 and 66
__________________
Accept no substitutions.
NeoStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #30
Gamester
Registered User
 
Gamester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally posted by NeoStrider
it should be something like:

x + 1.5x = 110...

2.5x = 110

x = 44, so the numbers are 44 and 66
And you're absolutly correect :attn:

A new quizz puzzle will be added I'm my next post.....just finishing some dettails, and I'll try to do a render before the UEFA Cup
__________________
"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
Gamester is offline   Reply With Quote

A little bit about who we are
Links you might find useful
Catch up with SimplyMaya
SimplyMaya specialises in Maya tutorials. We offer over 1,000 individual Maya training videos, ranging from basic Maya tutorials through to intermediate Maya tutorials. Our tutorials are created by instructors with industry experience and are designed to get you up and running in Maya quickly without making it seem like hard work.

Copyright © 1999-2015 SimplyMaya - vBulletin® Copyright © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.