View Poll Results: ATI vs. NVidia
ATI 6 46.15%
NVidia 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-03-2007 , 06:59 PM
Jr.Who

ATI vs. NVidia

Hey guys,

I have a question about Video Cards. Which is better, ATI or NVidia? I'm currently using a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64 MB) and love it. Any game I pop into my Mac, it will play.

What do you guys think?

-Jr.Who user added image

# 2 26-03-2007 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
I am no graphics card wiz, so my opinion will be lay. However, I have used both NVidia and ATI cards and can say I have been consistently more pleased with the former. It could be that the cards were not comparable to one another, but my NVidia card runs well to this day (bought two years ago) while my ATI card (bought a year ago) has trouble with recent games. I have always heard NVidia is the gamers choice, but I could be wrong.

# 3 26-03-2007 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
Yeah my alienware has the Nvidia and runs sweet as a nut

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 26-03-2007 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
I have only used ATI graphics card, and i have had a 9200 in my parents cpu for years and its still working great. i also bought a x1300 for another desktop, it has been working good but i havent been able to really test it because my 300 watt power supply isnt enough. just go onto newegg.com and read some of the reviews on the diffrent cards that ppl have said.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 5 26-03-2007 , 10:47 PM
Obviously I'm no expert, but from what I've heard ATI can give you a few problems like transform tools not appearing in certain views, but I've also read plenty of users that say that ATI are fine. I haven't heard anything bad about nvidia.

# 6 26-03-2007 , 11:09 PM
My NVidia 7800 GT works perfectly fine for my 3d and gaming needs; I've never had/seen an ATI's performance, so I have no vote to place.

# 7 27-03-2007 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
I've got an ATI radeon 9550 and it works fine. It is alot better than the Nvidia card that i could have got for the same price.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 8 27-03-2007 , 12:11 PM
I'm no expert on graphics cards but it seems to me that ATI and NVIDIA are pretty much the same when it comes to performance, capability and price (although NVIDIA tends to be a bit more cheaper than ATI).

# 9 29-03-2007 , 08:56 AM
Subscriber
I had a ati but forget what it was as I only had for 3 days. Had all sorts of problems with maya so took it back and got a nvidia 7800 gt for the same price and it ran maya perfectly.

Never getting a ati again when it comes to maya.

At the time I just got F.E.A.R the game and the nvidia ran it 5 points slower than the ati (the game has its own scoring system) which I can live with as my pc for 3d not games.

Going to start looking at some new cards myself soon as its "update my comp time" as soon as I move house, so will be watching this thread

# 10 30-03-2007 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
I'm using ati x1900 on a mac and havn't had any problems at all.

# 11 04-04-2007 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
wasnt there a thread like this a couple weeks back? or am i mistaken

at the moment i have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 512MB(limited edition) and is running perfectly... plays all the games i want etc tec... though when i first got it, the first week the fan played up and stop working so i had to ship it back to sydney then to thaiwan for a new one...

even though i have a ati card i would go for nvidia card though only in PCI-EXPRESS my old time lover... i have heard alot of good comments about it and no bad comments about it either,

thats my two cents user added image