Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-04-2007 , 07:11 PM
I cant really see what alkl the fuss is about the menu changes, its just another click away, or even closer for some operations, so the hour or so and couple of seconds remembering the new places for stuff isnt a biggie, not enought to ignore the other tools that maya 8.5 gives you (UVing, nCloth, mental ray upgrade etc etc)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 10-04-2007 , 07:38 PM
so far there's nothing about the software that I don't like. I just wish it had come with a printed manual. I don't like the constant switching between screens (Maya & Help Files). Menus seem fine to me. If I was working with an earlier version, I'd probably get a little annoyed (for awhile) with the different UI Layout so I guess it just depends on what you've gotten used to.

I do know that my version (8.5) for a fact works better than some earlier versions (according the the tuts I've done). Then again, I guess it could be the computer itself, I don't know.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 18 10-04-2007 , 08:45 PM
Ive ony really used Maya 6.0 PLE then Maya 6.0 then I upgraded to maya 8.5, the menu changes threw me a bit, but I read upo on the "whats new" section of the maya docs so it wasnt too bad, and any probs I had I just read the help files.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 12-04-2007 , 04:28 AM
Subscriber
yea you got some real good points there the-brein. and sometimes i ask myself how does anyone get any video projects done with all these steps you have to take. I mean you gotta model it and then UV map it into something paintable(which i never have the patience for) and then you gotta do that for every part of your shots including all the little garbage cans in the corners or the firealarm...etc. it really is too much work but like how many already said, once you do it for a while you start learning how to go around things and get your work done faster.
As far as pricing, I agree it is ridiculous but there are many ways to get around that . if you really don't have any money out there and can barely feed yourself every week and would really like to learn cg then i really don't see something wrong with that. if your just out there to learn it for yourself then there shouldn't be so much ethical problems with it. It kind of makes me sick when I keep hearing about kids who worked 2 summers to afford a copy of a multi-thousand dollar software and can't afford to go fix their cars to go to work. but whatever thats my philosophy and probably disagrees with a lot of people.

# 20 12-04-2007 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
some thread you boys got there.

there are free apps and they all do the same thing maya does, so dont blow your money on autodesk and make them more rich than they already are...
i dont think a slightly re arranged UI is a bad thing. believe me, they didnt just wake up bored on a sunday morning and thought : guy 1:"hey dude, lets change the UI for no reason!!..." , guy 2: "awsome"

i havent used much of maya lately, but i think it needed a little clean up.
people in the industry would never complain about UI... because as you all know, you re-arrange them the way they were by putting the menus back where they were with copy paste scripting...

# 21 12-04-2007 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jsprogg
I am learning XSI at the moment because I suspect it won't be long before I feel the need to switch.

HAHA joing the group. Ive been practicing with XSI also. I want to have some background just incase maya turns into another 3dsmax. I have a feeling by maya 10, it will baically be 3dsmax

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.