Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-05-2007 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber

building new pc and need help

hey all ..I am building a pc for maya and just personal use ... i currently have 1.6 and 1 gig ram ...and nvidia 5500 card ...

i want something that is fast and good on rendering. I currently want a motherboard and processor ...also video card suggestion. please anyone let me know. i know my rendering times now suck out the butt lol .... also just dont tell me brand ...that is good but some specs would be nice and rendering times also ...memory wise I am thinking 1 gig but not sure ...

thanks in advance

# 2 11-05-2007 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber
oh sorry price range I am looking at it around 200.00 on mobo and processor ...

video card not over 150 ...maybe less than that lol

# 3 12-05-2007 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
if you want to be fast get more processor power, and more ram. this will help greatly. ill look later on more stuff.

edit(adding stuff):

try getting parts off the internet. i got a radeon x1300 256mb for 120 would have gotten for 100 but i missed the mail in rebate. user added image www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com are both good sites.

Do what you like, like what you do.

Last edited by daffas; 13-05-2007 at 03:29 AM.
# 4 13-05-2007 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
get atleast 2gb of dual channel ram - crossiar are a very nice make(spelling)

mobo - i recomend asus good quality and come with enough spares to fit 2 mobos
(i use asus a8n-sli i can have 12usb ports and 8 sata hds with 2 external satas if i want)

processor - what u like just get as fast as possibe dual core
i sue an amd 3800+dual core an i get preety nice render times (the processor renders not the gfx card)

gfx card- i use an ati fire gl v5100 which runs nice - quadro cards are expensive so u could get someting like a nvidia geforce 7800gt(x) so ull also be able to game
it is not listed as compatable but the debate is on every forum and 99% say it works fine

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 13-05-2007 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
pman ..what kind of render times do you have ...can you show a pic of one of your harder render and times ...

# 6 13-05-2007 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
i wish i could
my comp is broken at the mo and uses 50% cpu to run desktop
ontop of that i have 100gb of bad sectors so some data is missing/corrupt

so i cant render out a test for u
i remem a while bak i rendered out a 3k sq or someting ridiculousy big for a test which was a full screen (no blank spaces) in mental ray in something like 10-20 mins?? was a while ago:headbang:

my gfx card in mudbox can handle 2-5mill polys before lgging depending on what detail there is

my comp untill it broke took only 1min to boot up and shut down
make sure u use 1 hd for only operating system and the other for programs and files

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 13-05-2007 , 04:39 PM
Subscriber
yeah that is how i have mine ...two different drives ...i work with comptuesr for a living so i seen your situation too often and have to get files off those types of drives ..yukc ...those are still good times