Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-06-2007 , 10:32 AM

Mirroring geometry with NURBS

Hi all,

been mirroring some NURBS using the technique of moving the pivot, and then Duplicating Special with a translate offset of -1 on the X coordinate. It works fine, that is unless I have rotated the original before the operation, in which case it does not (it creates another on only slightly removed from the original, and not actually mirrored).

One some occasions, I want to rotate the original first - is there any way I can do that and still carry out the operation to mirror?

thanks,

g

Last edited by gubar; 01-06-2007 at 11:33 AM.
# 2 01-06-2007 , 12:17 PM
Which way are you wanting to duplicate, Top example or Bottom?

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 01-06-2007 , 12:28 PM
Hi,

Top example - that could be two eyes, for example (though it'd be good to know how to do the bottom one too).

cheers,

g

# 4 01-06-2007 , 01:12 PM
For the top view, try selecting the object then do a freeze transformations on it under the modify menu.

That should make it work for you.

also keep in mind that if the object is grouped under another object that has a different rotation axis, then it won't work. You'll need to ungroup it before you freeze transformations. There's a couple of ways to ungroup if you need help with that.

Edit: I have an idea for duplicating like the bottom view, but I'll have to try it out when I get home from work. Not sure I could explain it without maya in front of me.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 01-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.
# 5 01-06-2007 , 01:44 PM
Thanks a lot perfecto,

I'll try that out tomorrow (the first one).

regards,

g