Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 25-06-2007 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
yeah, this is looking better already. But I still can't really tell what fish is being portrayed.
If you're going for an eel I guess the main thing about them is their head shape so that's kinda hard to show. I guess round it out a bit and add more tension, right now the biggest problem for me is the nose. Even in humans the line between nose and the rest of the face are not that pronounced, especially above the nostrils where there is a muscle that loops down the nose from there and disappears into the nasolabial fold.

Also, I think he could still use some brows to emphasize his menacing nature.

keep it up

# 47 26-06-2007 , 03:47 PM
Cheers Man

Ive smoothed the nose line in a bit from the last pic, as I noticed that when I posted the pic.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 48 29-06-2007 , 05:24 AM
Bit of an update.

Any Comments would be great.

Attached Thumbnails

# 49 29-06-2007 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
Looks great user added image
The only prob i can see is the neck muscles are a bit off. Those two large ones on either side should go back behind his ears instead of under his chin.
Keep it up user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 50 29-06-2007 , 05:30 PM
yeah - someguy is spot on.

also, i think his mouth could do with a bit of work - it's looking a bit thin at the moment. maybe if you started to build the inside of the mouth it might help give the lips more shape. also, i think the corners of the mouth are making it look a little flat as well.

Last edited by arran; 29-06-2007 at 05:33 PM.
# 51 29-06-2007 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
yeah this is looking better every time, man. The others have hit it on the head though. You still need to flesh out the form a bit more. Give the mouth and nostrils and all some thickness. It still looks a little bit too much like a smoothed base mesh and not a mesh of its own.

I'm pretty sure you know how neck muscles look so I assumed you were going for something very inhuman there. As long as you take it along with that in mind - it still has to make sense as far as musculature goes. It would be easier to stick with more human musculature and just sculpt out the sternomastoids though, imo user added image

keep it coming

# 52 30-06-2007 , 01:49 AM
Cheers Guys

I'm not too happy with the nose or the mouth yet, keep coming back to them then having a little fiddle then hitting undo, really need to figure out what I want. I was thinking of having the lips and mouth almost "washed out" bit like how davey jones dosent really have any lips (although his "tash" gives him the expressions needed), need to have a think.

for the neck muscles I was thinking of how to have them sit along side the gills, what I though was if I just made it more human it would look a bit funny with the gills, there but If I moved the structure about a bit it might fit in with him being "mutated" or transformed.

# 53 30-06-2007 , 03:04 PM
just an idea, but maybe you could base the mouth on a catfish's mouth. they have long barbels (whiskers) coming down from the top lip, i think. I was thinking of making a catfish type character a few months ago - it might give him some interesting features - it might also be interesting to really make his nose into a fish type 'mound' rather than him having a human type nose with nostrils...

# 54 01-07-2007 , 02:49 AM
Hmm might be to much trouble to convert it to a catfish like figure, but I guess it depends if he wants it like a twisted human or half fishthingie half human.

And well really good work so far, keep it up! user added image

# 55 05-07-2007 , 05:36 AM
Cheers Arran

I'll have a look into it, might be a good Idea, as its in Zbrush I have the luxery of adjusting it and the re importing the mesh into maya to sort out the UV's then go back into Z.

Just geoing mad trying to get a decent displacement map for Z3 to maya, eneded up having to import the high poly in to z2, re construct the subdivisions then render a map, lot of messing about, but at least ive got a workflow, just need to make the map look good,

# 56 07-07-2007 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
Well you know already what i think of this beauty so yeah keep it up, loving the detail ...

Just was thinking, what would someone do if they had an encounter with your pirate, haha! :p

# 57 09-07-2007 , 02:02 PM
Cheers man,

Getting a bit bogged down with real work at the moment, diving into the world of image recognition and processing at the moment for my PHD.

Hopefully update in a bit.

# 58 10-07-2007 , 06:42 AM
AMAZING!!!! :bow:
how long have you benn doing CG for?

Maybe We're all different but we're still the same
# 59 10-07-2007 , 11:58 AM
Cheers man,

Ive been doing Cg for just over 2 years, ive only really just started in Zbrush, I had z2 from uni but I never used it really, only for texturing but when I got the upgrade I thought "what the hell" and gave it a bash, love it other than a few random crashes here and there and the lack of a "proper" displacement exproter but thats all in the upgrades.

Think that this is about my 3rd/4th organic character that ive done

# 60 14-07-2007 , 03:25 AM
Thinking of adding some "facial furnature" like this, along arrans suggestions, bit not too sure.

Attached Thumbnails