Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 14-07-2007 , 03:33 AM
Jr.Who
lol, awesome stache.
user added image

# 62 14-07-2007 , 10:07 AM
When you start adding some texture/color to your model, I have a feeling it's going to look really AWESOME! Great work so far gster123!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 63 14-07-2007 , 12:54 PM

hey gster123 its looking great

but i agree with the rabbit ... I like the the cat fish thing but they are just sticking out of the lip they look to be stuck on if they had the appearance of coming from the centre under the skin it would make them look as they were ment to be there ... just a thought

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 64 14-07-2007 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
Hi Steve,

this is one of the hardest models to crit or input anything constructively into, and to be honest I have no idea why that is. I can feel your agony on where to take it next which most likely is related to the difficulties of C&C it. Funky might be right on the money with it being stuck between two realms right now. Aquatic and man. I do believe it can be combined but perhaps one must be dominant over the other? I do feel it's important to push the symbol of a nose and the mouth and eyes into one direction or the other.

I would try really wild things at this point. Saving your work in a backup file so you have the security of not disrupting anything, and can always go back to. Don't be afraid to loose the details you already have because I think it hinders you in this process. You can always re-apply those you like into the new mess, or incorporate the new mess into what you already have. Does that make sense? It's not that what you have already is bad in any way. It just miss that extra 5-10% that gives it Ooompf.

I'm thinking go crazy. Do 5-10 different designs out of what you have here, and you might like some direction that you can incorporate. That's my only constructive thought at the moment. Conquer the fear of ruining what you have. Sometimes you have to destroy in order to create (philosophical mumbo jumbo I know user added image )

I would incorporate eyes very very soon too, as they are extremely important in all character design. They can be human or aquatic too and give lots of extra information to the viewer.

Hope my random thoughts is of any help. They are only meant to build you up and find a direction you are happy with.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 14-07-2007 at 07:32 PM.
# 65 14-07-2007 , 08:37 PM
Cheers guys.

Bruce, your right I added them using the snake hook tool in Z3, i'll probably build up the area round them to make it look like there coming out rarther than stuck on.

Your bang on the money AlphaFlyte, I need to go mad with it, its just gathering the ideas and then applying them, ive got some time off work in the next week or so, so I should have some time to play about with it and think of some new directions on where to take him.

Think I might try first off adding some texture to him, (bumpey scaley skin) in one file then go mad in another file adding lots of extras, kinda going over the top if you will, what I was thinking is to keep his more human form but add to that, hence the look so far, sorta mutating but not ott, as I said before I thought that the Pirated in Dead mans Chest were a bit ott and some, to me, looked like a jumbeled mess of sea bits.

Ive held back on the eyes as Im thinking of giving him one fish eye which will change the whole geo, not a problem as i'll just export out the low res mesh, re uv in maya, and then re import as a morph target, kinda like the look of this guys eye.

https://features.cgsociety.org/storie..._hery/im01.jpg

Ive made some custom alpha's that I can use for barnicles and weeds etc (as in his hat) so I might stick some of them in there, be a bugger to paint the textures though! LOL!!

All good fun!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 66 14-07-2007 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
nice progress

i like the tenticales thing but i dont think they flow properly off the face structre

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 67 16-07-2007 , 04:03 PM
Bit of an update, made the barbels look a bit more part of him and added a new set.

Close up Screen grab

Attached Thumbnails

# 68 16-07-2007 , 06:05 PM
that tash look alot better now user added image

# 69 17-07-2007 , 01:00 AM
that looks freaky! ha ha - coming along nicely. still not sure about the nose, though.

looking forward to seeing some textures.
user added image

# 70 19-07-2007 , 08:24 PM
Cheers Arran, might push the bigger barbels into the nose???? Dunno to be honest bit confused on it myself!

# 71 22-07-2007 , 02:33 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

Did you get my email?user added image

Cheers
Jay

# 72 22-07-2007 , 02:59 AM
Jay

Yes I did mate!! Thanks a lot for that man, really given me some Ideas!!

Hope I can do them Justice!

Cheers Mate!

Steve

# 73 23-07-2007 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber
this thread has inspired me to force myself to give zbrush 3 a go this weekend.

is there a free ple type version of this yet ??? - i got one for 2
but at £300 I might just buy it

great work so man keep it up

# 74 23-07-2007 , 01:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Just buy then each upgrade is free!

_J

# 75 23-07-2007 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
:eeek2: upgrades are free as well :eeek2:

whoo hoo sold - thats how you run a piece of software.

Been going thought the gnomon workshop training dvd - that metz guy is good but one really boring instructor, but if I want to learn it.