Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-07-2007 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber

Joining Primitives Workflow

Joining Polygons Workflow

I am flailing around with joining two objects.

For example. If I wanted to make a golfball trophy, a sphere embedded on a cube.

I could subtract the cube from the sphere. I am left wondering how do I get vertices on the cube to match my partial sphere. When I combine and merge, I don't want either object to distort.

I could subdivide the faces on the cube, but that would never quite match the vertices on my partial-sphere.

I could subdivide the faces on the cube and move its vertices to match the partial-sphere's. That would mean I would have to have the correct number of vertices
on the cube.

Is there a way to select an edge and "burn" it into a target plane?

Thanx Randy

Maya 7.1

Last edited by thespongebob; 22-07-2007 at 11:18 AM.
# 2 22-07-2007 , 12:02 PM
I dont really know what you are after, (confusing question. user added image) but have you tried using the Merge edge tool?

# 3 22-07-2007 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
hehe If it's a confusing you then I am probably looking at it the complete wrong way. I am trying to combine two primitives that don't have "lined up" vertices. Both must retain their shape. There cannot be any geometry contained within the combined (closed) shape.

As I struggle to find the words to explain myself ... I think I may have found a solution.

Given a sphere and a cube.

1. Move the sphere to overlap the cube.
2. Boolean the sphere from the cube so you are left with a "half-sphere".
3. Move the "half-sphere" to intersect with the cube face.
3. Boolean the cube from the "half-sphere" so the remaining cube face has vertices that match the "half-sphere" vertices. The cube has a hole in it.
4. Move the "half-sphere" to match the hole in the cube.
5. Combine
6. Move and merge the cube face vertices to match the "half-sphere".

Make any sense? Thanx. I am trying to improve my Maya terminology.

Maya 7.1

Last edited by thespongebob; 22-07-2007 at 12:46 PM.