Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 26-08-2007 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
looks awesome keep up the good work. I've been wanting to model the ship my grandpa was on in WWII

# 17 26-08-2007 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
What ship was that (former Naval Officer talking here! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 18 26-08-2007 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber
sweet!!!! Thank you Lt jim, I will give it a go for sure!!

sean

myspace - www.myspace.com/seansilasexperimental
# 19 27-08-2007 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber
Lt. Jim the USS Hornet: https://navysite.de/cv/cv12phototour.htm

If I remember correctly it's docked in a bay in San Fransisco as a museum now. My grandpa went to a reunion a few years back and now and then he visits just for memories. I would love to model this for him to see.

# 20 27-08-2007 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
Hey, Rhetoric Camel, look what I found!! It's the plans for the USS Hornet (actually it could be any of the 24 "Essex" class carriers, of which USS Hornet CV 12 was one) in it's WWII configuration (as your grandfather would remember it)!

The full-size plans are downloadable from the Wikipedia article on "Essex Class Carriers". I shrank it down to 640 X 480 so I could post it here. Have at it! :-)

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 21 27-08-2007 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
that is awesome! Thank you so much! I wonder if there are anymore good design plans out there for this? This will be great though. Thanks again

# 22 28-08-2007 , 07:46 AM
Subscriber
There probably are. The best sources I've seen are reprints of the famous "Jane's Fighting Ships of the World". I have a reprint of their combined volumes from 1914-1919. There are also WWII editions available, though you could probably find a book on carriers alone which should have the basic drawings.

I would use the blueprints to establish proportions and use various period photos to add details.

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 23 29-08-2007 , 07:27 PM
Subscriber
I figured out how to float the ^#%$* ship! It took a while to get an acceptable wake and ocean parameters! Anyway, the link to the animation is: https://www.youtube.com/LtJim

Look for the one which says "Russian Pre-Dreadnought"

Comments welcome!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 24 30-08-2007 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
it's getting there, needs a little more work, but unfortunately know nothing about floating and fluids in maya (yet). But it's looking pretty cool. Keep working at it, you'll get it, and when you do I'll be pretty damn jealous haha.

# 25 31-08-2007 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Lt Jim
I'm not quite sure what it is you suggest I texture

I circled in the picture what i ment by that stuff being textured, thats if there is any, anyway :p

As for the animation, it looks great though i reckon you can make this look really awesome and stand out a lot. Just a question, have you got controls for your boat or whatever? such as when you increase a value in the channel box, the boat turns left/right, speeds up and slows down?

My crits are that you could add boat ripples, such as the in the 2nd picture below.

Cheers, Marlon J

user added image

user added image

# 26 01-09-2007 , 01:58 AM
Subscriber
Marlon,

Thanks for getting back to me on this! I actually did re-texture the whole ship (especially the part you circled) and added details (most of which are hard to see but you can "feel them" at a distance). As for the animation, I am currently rendering a second version. The wake looks a little better but I am still figuring it all out (dynamics is something which is, so I've been told, best learned through trial and error)! as for controls, the "create motorboat" feature in the fluid effects/create ocean menu is supposedly how one gets the desired effect.

For the first animation, I just set buoyancy and the throttle. This time, I added a bit of rudder so the ship is turning. Finally, I decided to animated the turrets and guns moving into position. Hopefully it comes out better than the first, but I imagine it too will need tweaking!

We really never do achieve perfection in Maya, but I suppose that's half the fun of it!

Thanks again!

"Ad astra per aspera..."