Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-10-2007 , 10:47 PM

deform object

ok - not sure if i've read this somewhere or if my brain's not working from lack of sleep... but, how do you deform an object without changing it's actual size?

so, i need to model a number of sheets of paper, but they all need varying degrees of curliness to them... i have a flat piece of paper model (took me ages to make :p) that I want to change without changing the size of it's actual dimensions...

would i smooth bind it to some joints....? er...not sure if i'm making much sense.

Last edited by arran; 27-10-2007 at 10:50 PM.
# 2 27-10-2007 , 11:41 PM
Lifetime Member
You could use either a lattice or a wire deformer or even a non linear deformer like sine or wave, all can be found in the Animation menu set under Create Deformers.
Probably the easiest way to create a page is to draw a cv curve the shape you need and duplicate it and then loft between them.

Arran message me your e-mail .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 27-10-2007 at 11:50 PM.
# 3 27-10-2007 , 11:50 PM
i guess using a curve tool might work... the problem with using a deformer for this is that it changes the actual dimensions of the surface, rather than deform it while keeping it the same size... unless there's is something that i am missing.