Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 24-01-2008 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
'well maybe when he said it was gonna be a set, it was gonna be for dolls or puppets! then carpet waves would work!'

LOL, i dont think a carpet would work as a sea for even dolls.., the truth of the ocean shader is i have no idea what im doing.., if it is under the water i have a much better idea.., but waves, frequency, foam admission, height, ect.., i was only playing around.., this is far from anything like finished.., around maybe 15% done overall.., the ocean is a hard one and seems to depend a lot on the angle of the camera.., maybe i should whack a sampler info node on it (joking). i tried to get waves (i didnt use the 'examples' in the visor) bigger and better with everything i got,.., turbulence, all the connection variables.., all i could think of and all i get is a badly tiled plane, shaded blue with a little transparency. ??

i think there is much more wrong with it than the sea.., the sand is wrong, the grasses are just place holders for geometry i have yet to make.., such as vines, alpha cards, the rocks are still default shader 1, no foot prints in sand or props yet, nothing at all except an island that doesnt know if it is deserted or inhabited.

but thanks for the nice words.., but i think this scene is a shocker and am surprised how hard it is.., one piece of geometry with a ground plane is a different kettle of 'fish' than a set.., thats for sure.

no its not a dolls set.., i have another one on the way that will be a cartoon set. but this process takes a long time and a lot of steam.

Muser added image

it was simply an update to keep myself reminded.

as i said, thanks for the thought!! user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 32 24-01-2008 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
after that lengthy excuse.., i have actually tried to improve this rather than technique.., after a bit of shuffling about (havent looked at the tut for a week.., sort of started to go my own way but best i get back o the tut soon)

here is evening on 'maya island.'

Attached Thumbnails

# 33 24-01-2008 , 09:12 AM
Hello mirek03, this island was a big project and lots works to do.
we can't see the fog, much more blur and dark of the sun.

keeping it up!
user added image

Last edited by lealar; 24-01-2008 at 01:49 PM.
# 34 24-01-2008 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
ummm??? here's another version.., you think it needs more fog?? i didnt really understand user added image

anyway.., im just shuffling along.., a lot of work?? yes, more than i imagined and ive hardly began.., for the people doing these sets for movies..?? well, they certainly earn their money!!

this is camera 1 with the background having a very little incandescence.

oh yea the sun.., actually i was trying to cheat moonlight.., i wondered if anyone would notiuce that the direction of the light was ambiguous?? user added image

Attached Thumbnails