Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-03-2008 , 02:40 PM

need help with my car

hey again..
in my last post i asked for help with my coloring but i found another littleproblemuser added image

i hope someone can help me..

im making a cool nascar looking car and i started with just a poly cube. Then i extruded him so many times i have it looking like a car.. but arent there any better ways so i can make it way easier?..

plz help me with more ways to make a car or something,, i know how to extrude,, i learned that from a youtube tut..

greetz

Last edited by whoojaa; 05-03-2008 at 03:41 PM.
# 2 05-03-2008 , 03:40 PM
user added image

this is what i have so far..l how i get further plz help me

# 3 05-03-2008 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
hey, i am not a modeller, but ive seen a couple of tutorials for car modelling and use the same technique.

First you have to know what you're modelling (which you do) lol. 2n, you need reference images...plenty of reference images. 3rdly, you need blueprints of your car. A view from the front, the side, back, top and bottom. (These need to be the EXACT sizes and match up. You can scale and trim in photoshop)

Its not neccessary to have every view, just front, side and top but hey, the more the better.
Upload these on to image planes or planes in Maya and position these planes accordingly. Now you're ready to begin.

Like i said, this technique is based on what ive seen so it is time consuming but if you're a modeller im assuming you have patience.

1) Using your image planes form the outline of your car using nurbs curves.

2) Now Start with a car door or a good starting place of your choice. Create a small plane, (square shape) and extrude the edge. and again, and again and and model this way.

This is an extremely painstaking way of modelling but yuo can get some awesome result. Before attemtping, i'd invest in some vid tutorials (Digital Tutors have some amazing ones for cars)

good luck

those who succeed are only the failures that never gave up.

https://www.vimeo.com/7080130
# 4 05-03-2008 , 07:09 PM

Originally posted by mr pix.
hey, i am not a modeller, but ive seen a couple of tutorials for car modelling and use the same technique.

First you have to know what you're modelling (which you do) lol. 2n, you need reference images...plenty of reference images. 3rdly, you need blueprints of your car. A view from the front, the side, back, top and bottom. (These need to be the EXACT sizes and match up. You can scale and trim in photoshop)

Its not neccessary to have every view, just front, side and top but hey, the more the better.
Upload these on to image planes or planes in Maya and position these planes accordingly. Now you're ready to begin.

Like i said, this technique is based on what ive seen so it is time consuming but if you're a modeller im assuming you have patience.

1) Using your image planes form the outline of your car using nurbs curves.

2) Now Start with a car door or a good starting place of your choice. Create a small plane, (square shape) and extrude the edge. and again, and again and and model this way.

This is an extremely painstaking way of modelling but yuo can get some awesome result. Before attemtping, i'd invest in some vid tutorials (Digital Tutors have some amazing ones for cars)

good luck

hey hey...

first of alll thanks for at least reading my post hehe..
i think i can do the modelling with extruding.. i practiced a few weeks with buidling my room.. its quite nice outcome.. but how u mean reading in in maya.. i need to scann them on a scanner or something?.... ** sorry my english isnt that good in those technieques **

greetz

# 5 05-03-2008 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
Your gonna need a few more tricks up your sleeve than just extruding for a project like this. Though extruding seems to be a modellers best friend at times!

If you cant find blueprints for a nascar online (do your reserch and im sure you will), you will need to draw or outline 4 images of your car either in photoshop or on paper, then scan them into your pc if you have one.

Then, providing they are exactly measure right like the example i should you. Set up planes and position them accordingly and texture them with your images in maya.

Then the actual modelling style is based on the modeller. The technique i showed you is obviously an example. You model however you feel comfortable with.

Refence applies to anything in animation, whether it be modelling, texuring, animating. You cannot have enough reference material.

check this out
https://www.digitaltutors.com/store/p...p?productid=56

# 6 05-03-2008 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
soz.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 05-03-2008 , 08:08 PM

Your gonna need a few more tricks up your sleeve than just extruding for a project like this. Though extruding seems to be a modellers best friend at times!

If you cant find blueprints for a nascar online (do your reserch and im sure you will), you will need to draw or outline 4 images of your car either in photoshop or on paper, then scan them into your pc if you have one.

Then, providing they are exactly measure right like the example i should you. Set up planes and position them accordingly and texture them with your images in maya.

Then the actual modelling style is based on the modeller. The technique i showed you is obviously an example. You model however you feel comfortable with.

Refence applies to anything in animation, whether it be modelling, texuring, animating. You cannot have enough reference material.

check this out
https://www.digitaltutors.com/store/p...p?productid=56

aah like that.. ok..
i found some blueprints but couldnt save them in a wierd way..
and then i just need to draw them on each viewport with curve?...

to get them in or i can read it in with maya?...

btw if i didnt told im using maya 8.0

# 8 05-03-2008 , 08:16 PM
aight i found some awesome blue prints....
i rezised them in photoshop,, i got a photo from a real one to see it in real so i can mention it better and now..

i have no clue how to get it in maya.. user added image

# 9 05-03-2008 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
setup 3 or 4 polygon or nurbs planes and position them like the image shown above.

Then texture them with each image. If you know how to texture skip this bit, if not read on.

1) Then right click on one, assign new material > lambert.

2) Go into your attribute editor (ctrl + a) go across to the right to the Lambert tab.

3) Go down to color click in the box on the right

4) where it say image name click on the right box again and locate your image for that particular plane.

IMPORTANT:Obviously nothing with match up, so heres the clever bit. In photoshop you need to measure how big the image is either in cm, mm or whatever. for example 450 mm x 300mm. This is important as you need to be precise in Maya or it will look out of proportion.

Now in Maya go to Window > settings/preferences > prefferences

scroll down to settings and change Linear to whatever you used in photoshop i.e cm or mm or foot etc.

Now you can shape your polygon planes to the exact size

sorry i shouldve said the 'important' bit at the beginning

# 10 05-03-2008 , 08:44 PM

setup 3 or 4 polygon or nurbs planes and position them like the image shown above.

Then texture them with each image. If you know how to texture skip this bit, if not read on.

1) Then right click on one, assign new material > lambert.

2) Go into your attribute editor (ctrl + a) go across to the right to the Lambert tab.

3) Go down to color click in the box on the right

4) where it say image name click on the right box again and locate your image for that particular plane.

IMPORTANT:Obviously nothing with match up, so heres the clever bit. In photoshop you need to measure how big the image is either in cm, mm or whatever. for example 450 mm x 300mm. This is important as you need to be precise in Maya or it will look out of proportion.

Now in Maya go to Window > settings/preferences > prefferences

scroll down to settings and change Linear to whatever you used in photoshop i.e cm or mm or foot etc.

Now you can shape your polygon planes to the exact size

sorry i shouldve said the 'important' bit at the beginning

aah oke.. so it doesnt sound that hard..
just doing on school making cars from crossed papers... it pretty looks like that.. but beside that.. i dont know how to texture.. so i dont know how to get it in there.. is there an other way.. or whot i have to do if i cant texture

//edit//

im asking couse i dont know why to set up those nurbs than if im not texturing the picture on it

// //

# 11 05-03-2008 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
your not texturing anything. You just putting those images on polygon planes or nurbs planes.

If you dont know much about Maya, then this is a mighty project to tackle no offence.

user added image

# 12 05-03-2008 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
your best bet is to get hold of digital tutors car modelling set in Maya. Its awesome. Ive tried it but im too impatient when it comes to modelling im afraid. My forte is in animation. So im very limited when it comes to modelling.

good luck

# 13 05-03-2008 , 08:56 PM
aah as i said.. i dont know much about maya.. i found it all out by my selfe and some help from youtube tuts.....

my help isnt working ,,, i dont know why but its not..

and i know a bit with poly and nurbs... very little about animations.... thats it.. i didn know whot to make to learn more.. and i thougd maybe a car or something...

but that whasnt a good idea??

else look fo rmy other post.. first one in this topic.. its my first.. car like ive made

# 14 05-03-2008 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
no. your best bet is to get to grips with all of maya's tools before attemtping a car. like your enthusiasm tho. lol

www.learning-maya.com is a good site.

I (like many others) taught myself maya from scratch. No help, no guidence. I had to surf my butt off to find BASIC tutorials. Then i discovered video tutorials.

Best and quickest way to learn (if you can get your hands on them)

Any you come to the right place. simplymaya is simply the best, and has got me to where i am now (which isnt far but miles and miles from where i was 2 years ago.

PM if you ever need help, or better still, keep posting and ppl will reply.

user added image

# 15 06-03-2008 , 12:27 PM
thanks ill check out the site...

my biggest problem is making cool corners with a radius.. so no pointy corners but a smooth corner... haha...

thanks for helping and if i need some more help ill post user added image...
then hoping some of you guys helpl again.. but i think its coming all good.. nice ppl here so that hasnt to be a big problem