Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-03-2008 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber

oldfurniceroom

A while back I did this scene and I didn't like how I textured it because I rushed through so I can start another scene. I took my time on the new version and I am very happy how it came out. I was wondering if I added a ambient occlusion would it be even more realistic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-03-2008 , 07:54 AM
the texturing is really nice along the furnace piping along the top, the rest seems just a little bland, but i don't think it's really a texturing issue, i think it's a lighting issue.

it looks too evenly lit throughout and there's what seems to be a distinct lack of shadows... i know there are shadows of the pole and pillar, but they're not very noticeable, which makes it look odd and somehow washed out. i believe this scene would look great if you were to work on the lighting... but i don't think just adding simple ambient occlusion would help that much

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 13-03-2008 , 09:38 AM
Darker with some light fog would help user added image
And maybe a layer on the wood to make it more "woody" and less uniform.

# 4 13-03-2008 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NeoStrider
the texturing is really nice along the furnace piping along the top, the rest seems just a little bland, but i don't think it's really a texturing issue, i think it's a lighting issue.

it looks too evenly lit throughout and there's what seems to be a distinct lack of shadows... i know there are shadows of the pole and pillar, but they're not very noticeable, which makes it look odd and somehow washed out. i believe this scene would look great if you were to work on the lighting... but i don't think just adding simple ambient occlusion would help that much

Your right neostrider it was to evenly lit.So I added some hard lighting.It came out great.Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 13-03-2008 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jm82792
Darker with some light fog would help user added image
And maybe a layer on the wood to make it more "woody" and less uniform.

I actually like the wood and I did darken the scene and added harsher light which really made the scene stand out thank for the advice.

# 6 13-03-2008 , 11:08 AM
that's a definite improvement.

(oh also, i like the peeling paint texture on the back wall... reminds me of my un-waterproofed basement walls lol)

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 14-03-2008 , 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
yeah its an improvement. though it doesnt feel very "furnace roomy" looks like theres a huge window flooding in harsh white light. i'm no expert but i dont think you fiddle w/ the shadow lightness until you've blocked out your lighting situation. a light w/ a tiny bit of warmth, and dark shadows w/ a teeny tiny bit of softness would help. then you can start w/ the gi and all that other good stuff.

- Genny
# 8 15-03-2008 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
yeah its an improvement. though it doesnt feel very "furnace roomy" looks like theres a huge window flooding in harsh white light. i'm no expert but i dont think you fiddle w/ the shadow lightness until you've blocked out your lighting situation. a light w/ a tiny bit of warmth, and dark shadows w/ a teeny tiny bit of softness would help. then you can start w/ the gi and all that other good stuff.

I wanted it to feel like a harsh light is coming in.:p

# 9 18-03-2008 , 11:58 PM
i like it very much

# 10 17-04-2008 , 03:27 AM
would be cool if you could have the boiler open and use the flame as your light source...

i think that in a cellar type environment even with a strong light source coming through a door, the shadows would almost be pitch black...

otherwise look up some global illumination tutorials, add some slight depth of feild and some light fog would be a must in an environment that would be so full of dust!

keep up the good work..

# 11 18-04-2008 , 02:27 AM
yeah - this is definitely coming along - but i would keep working on it to really make this look good. at the moment your textures are still looking too clean.

it looks like you've applied the textures without doing much further work on it. for example the wooden pillar looks like it just has a wooden texture added to it. i'd imagine in a dank cellar the wood would have much more variation with dirt at the bottom and top and maybe some other marks.

the brown rusted doors on the right look like they have a 'clean' rusted texture - there should be grime and dirt at the edges and again more variation in the specular maps and bump.

hope i don't sound too harsh - keep at it banksta! user added image

Last edited by arran; 18-04-2008 at 02:29 AM.
# 12 24-04-2008 , 12:29 AM
Lighting is too bright and it's too "clean". Doesn't come across as an "old" furnace room. Where's the grit and grime? Where's the soot and dirt? Cobwebs and dust?

I'm going to move this to the WIP thread while you try different things. When you get it right, then re-post it back to the Finished Work thread.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 13 24-04-2008 , 09:30 AM
Acid44

Originally posted by dave_baer
I'm going to move this to the WIP thread while you try different things. When you get it right, then re-post it back to the Finished Work thread.

user added image

lol pushing him to do better?

on top of what was said i think the flakes on the vent are a little too big