Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 13-07-2008 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
yeah, NZ is good for retirement...

and to scare you more...
i think its actually more than $2 a litre for petrol and if you move to auckland you get to put up the most horrible transport system you will ever face... possibly.... i've never seen anything worse than it :p

<begin-rant>
the motorway keeps changing from 2 lanes to 3 lanes back to 2 lanes then randomly to 4 lanes for a short distance
oh, and don't forget about the public transport... there is NO public transport going out to the airport, so you have to pay $100+ for a taxi, not only that but if you DO get to see a bus it's probably at some random time of the day and everyone abuses the poor busdrivers, bus routes connect the city but you can't go everywhere on just one bus... if you are in south part of auckland (where all the highschool dropouts try to be american gangsters) you can't take the bus anywhere other than to central auckland or some other parts of south auckland, going anywhere else means you have to take a seperate bus
oh and if you get sick of the buses that are falling apart and are just things found in overseas junkyards, try the trains which were also found in some other countries junk yard. with a limited speed of 60km/h (or is it 80 now...?) you can go to either south, central or west auckland in a few hours stopping at stations in sometimes obscure places in the middle of nowhere (although theres one that i catch which is only 8 minutes walk away from where i live)
you can't take the train out to the more populated parts of auckland in north and east, and most parts of south, west, and central...

although i hear the public transport is somewhat better in wellington

other than that, the scenery can be nice so long as you aren't in the factory areas

</end-rant>

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 13-07-2008 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
don't get me wrong, its a nice place to live :p

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 18 13-07-2008 , 10:35 AM
Yeah, auckland iss a bit polluted in the center as well. If you don't mind ice-cold wind every day, you will enjoy Wellington. Public transport is pretty good, but could be better.

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 19 13-07-2008 , 11:24 AM
Subscriber
melbourne's a pretty good place to live user added image though as anasasis said about the prices of housing, is totally true... also if you do come here later on in the future, be prepared for the weather :p ohh its horrid, i tell you ...

(ps. anyone from the western suburbs like me? lol)

# 20 13-07-2008 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber
a friend of mine is making good money from the country (nth NSW).., in this age of remote and e mail.., but he has 25 years of compositing experience.., a flame artist.

depends if you are a city person and enjoy all the smiles and partying.., or a country person.., a quiet life working at your own terms.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 21 13-07-2008 , 01:35 PM
Acid44
2marlon - dude the weather anywhere isn't as bad as canada...

it's like sring and fall killed eachother... 25-40 degrees C in the summer and -25 - -35 in the winter... we suck...

@merik - i'm a middle person, i like being close to the hussle and bussle, and working in it but not living in it... and county... too boring to live in, somedays i like it though... so i like the smaller towns that surround big cities

user added image user added image user added image

# 22 13-07-2008 , 01:48 PM
Subscriber
yea, i hear that.., its hard to find the right place at the right time.

# 23 13-07-2008 , 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
yeah, NZ is good for retirement...

and to scare you more...
i think its actually more than $2 a litre for petrol

$2 a litre! Be glad were at about £1.20 (about $2.40/$2.50) a litre at the moment

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 13-07-2008 , 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by gster123
$2 a litre! Be glad were at about £1.20 (about $2.40/$2.50) a litre at the moment

LOL gas is $4 per gallon on average in the U.S. Crazy stuff.

- Genny
# 25 13-07-2008 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123

yeah, but doesn't everything there cost more than here?
the prices is the UK are the same/similar numbers as whats here but the salary/wages are better

that, and hear NZ dairy products are cheaper there than they are here

@GecT, 1 gallon = 3.78 litre according to the convertor thing on my phone and $US4 is $NZ5.73 (so says the convertor again, i dunno if it keeps up with the exchange rates and i'm not gonna bother finding out)
so thats $NZ5.73....user added image

unless my math was wrong that's just crazy.....!

# 26 13-07-2008 , 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
yeah, but doesn't everything there cost more than here?
the prices is the UK are the same/similar numbers as whats here but the salary/wages are better

that, and hear NZ dairy products are cheaper there than they are here

Dunno, never gone to the shop for a pint of NZ milk, dont think I've ever seen it? Or many or any NZ dairy products here that I cant thikn of off the top of my head?

I knw we have a pretty high cost of living, but I've not looked into a comparason between here and NZ.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 27 13-07-2008 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
all i know is that no matter where.., im thinking the price of food is less than petrol.

as 'artists' i think we need to be careful with money.., one can live as cheaply or expensively as they like in any country.., eg, cigarettes, drinking, drugs, eating out.., how one spends there money dictates their life style to a certain extent..,

i dont have any money really by ozzy standards.., but i eat OK.., but not much of a life.., just me and the computers.

gee, that really sounds like soapbox material.., but i hope you guys know what i mean

# 28 14-07-2008 , 11:40 PM
hey marlon where in the western suburbs are you im in mornington near frankston in south east suburbs

# 29 15-07-2008 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
I live in a town down south near Melbourne called Torquay.
Its a nice place and we get heaps of tourists during summer which is good for all the shops. Overall i'd say Australia is probably one of the better places to live.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 30 25-07-2008 , 07:09 AM
Subscriber
@ anasasis - i live in a suburb called, deerpark/brimbank just outside of st albans/footscary ... lol guessing you heard of those places :p but my area is fine really, just plenty of hoons.

"Overall i'd say Australia is probably one of the better places to live."

yeah gotta agree with you there someguy