Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 15-08-2008 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
Before you even start modeling, you should probably create a morph target. I'm not home right now, but.....I think its under morph target tab, you click on create. This way if you plan on importing it back, the UVs and the base model won't get messed up and rearranged. If that happens, it makes UV'ing a little harder. Displacements would be fine because it would follow along the UV that you mapped out, but color mapping would probably get stretched. I'm experienced that a few times before I finally figured it out. Kind of. user added image

# 17 15-08-2008 , 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Anhslaught
Before you even start modeling, you should probably create a morph target. I'm not home right now, but.....I think its under morph target tab, you click on create. This way if you plan on importing it back, the UVs and the base model won't get messed up and rearranged. If that happens, it makes UV'ing a little harder. Displacements would be fine because it would follow along the UV that you mapped out, but color mapping would probably get stretched. I'm experienced that a few times before I finally figured it out. Kind of. user added image

Ok what you saying is that i must make morph target for the basic model and then model in Zbrush , after that make the displacement and paint it in Zbrush ... ? user added image

# 18 15-08-2008 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ColdWave
Ok what you saying is that i must make morph target for the basic model and then model in Zbrush , after that make the displacement and paint it in Zbrush ... ? user added image

Yep. You have to be in Edit mode to see the tab to the right for it. It should be under Morph Target, click Store MT, then you start modeling. If you don't do this, everytime you model something and increase its resolution, you can't go back to the original object because everythings been moved around. Since its all moved around, it also affects your UV maps, causing color maps to stretch when you paint on it. By saving morph targets, you can always refer back to what you started with.

I'm still learning so nothing I say will be official.

# 19 15-08-2008 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber
Oh and another thing, it screws up your UV map badly if you don't have a morph target to back you up. I've experienced this 3 straight times.

# 20 17-08-2008 , 02:16 AM
Thanks for the morph help.user added image

here is texture staring

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 17-08-2008 , 02:18 AM
Here is a render with maya

With applied Displacement and texture

The texture is his basic skin so will be working alot on it

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 17-08-2008 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
Looks good dude. pop an eyeball in there so you can model the eyelids around it. You can pop the eyeball in as a subtool.

See that subtool menu? Just click on that then add or append(i forgot what its called). You can lock or hide the eyeballs so you won't actually move its verts around while playing with the eyelids.

And did you do the textures all from Zbrush and exported it over to maya or something?

# 23 18-08-2008 , 12:16 AM
Yes i make the texture with Zapplink then export it into maya

here is some update ... I'm not good at texturing but it's fine for me now :blush:

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 18-08-2008 , 12:44 AM
And one more model i've modeled .... Yeah i know the glasses are fu**ed up but ... i will fix them and add a hair user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 18-08-2008 , 01:18 AM
stick to lower subdivision levels for a longer time, because you are getting that trademark blob-look that most people get when they are new to Zbrush, and that is because people see Zbrush and say "OMG, DETAIL", and they don't take time to sculpt the bigger forms.
Don't rush straight to the detailing.
-Andy

("Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread" applies well to Zbrush)

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 26 18-08-2008 , 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Joopson
stick to lower subdivision levels for a longer time, because you are getting that trademark blob-look that most people get when they are new to Zbrush, and that is because people see Zbrush and say "OMG, DETAIL", and they don't take time to sculpt the bigger forms.
Don't rush straight to the detailing.
-Andy

("Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread" applies well to Zbrush)

You' read my minds ? Shit i just said that ... Ok dude ... i will stick to lower levels user added image , and when i'm comfortable i will go on

# 27 25-09-2008 , 07:01 AM
I started university so i don't have much time here ... so like you've said up there i start model lv 1 , lv 2 till i'm satisfited here is something i've made it's lv 3 , but it's 3 because i smooth the details of 2:puser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 26-09-2008 , 10:38 PM
nice job coldwave - this latest image is a big improvement over the earlier models. i'm assuming this is an alien head tho, otherwise the eyes and upper half are looking a bit big / wide.

# 29 01-10-2008 , 07:08 PM
Working on body now only the stomach and the ass part

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 01-10-2008 , 07:09 PM

Attached Thumbnails