Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 76 31-08-2008 , 11:40 AM
Yeah everythinig in maya is built on MEL, just that if theres already something in there, doing a script is a bit like re-inventing the wheel. If your automating repeating tasks that you always do then thats a great time saver.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 77 31-08-2008 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
this is for heavy scenes more than automating and time saving.., but.., i guess you could call it that too user added image

pre and post mel render

set the divisions in poly smooth to '0' and smooth the object (nothing changes) to create a smooth node.

change channel names to 'short', so divisions will be 'dv' (correct mel code fordivisions)

render globals.., go to render options

pre-render mel; setAttr polySmooth1.dv 2

post render mel; setAttr polySmooth1.dv 0

so the pre script is .., set attribute of the polysmooth1 node divisions to 2

and the post script is .., set attribute of the polysmooth1 node divisions to 0

you can use this technique for anything at render, eg.., low res texture to high res

take it easy and life will be easy
# 78 31-08-2008 , 11:48 AM
So its applying a smooth node just at render time?

Have a look into the subdivision approximation editor, that pretty much does that for you. Might help you out.

# 79 31-08-2008 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
yes, exactly.., and post render sets it back to 0

approximation editor?? i thought that was mental ray??

# 80 31-08-2008 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
im not using sub divisions either??

# 81 31-08-2008 , 12:01 PM
Yes Its for mental ray, which I though you would end up using when its done, and its polys, subdivisions means the number of Sub divisions that it makes to smooth it, although it would work with subdivision surfaces too.

# 82 31-08-2008 , 12:04 PM
Subscriber
all sounds good to me user added image

# 83 01-09-2008 , 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
Looking good Mirek. And yeah I agree with gster, though watch what you have selected to connect to that approx node, I accidentally attached a bunch of paint FX to poly stuff once, sat there scratching my head wondering what the hell happened to my rendertime :x

- Genny
# 84 01-09-2008 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber

And yeah I agree with gster

you lost me???

i thought i was answering his question (and actually i already knew what divisions are user added image ).., im still in maya software renderer.., it will be sometime before i get to mental ray..???? i already have referances for that and the approx editor was on the list.., with a heap of other stuff.

i just dont like using the smooth node much in the view port (got phobic using it when i was doing the cartoon car) . i was referring and referencing a MEL script for steve to avoid using 'smooth' (but really it was all about MEEEEEEE user added image ) .., nothing to do with rendering at all.., except about the smooth node and the viewport.., but all is good.., all is bliss.., all is 'supreme.., a love supreme.., supreme supreme., ect ect.., ' (sorry, got carried away and remembered an old Coltrane piece that was done by McLaughlin and Santana):blush:

# 85 01-09-2008 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
anyway.., back at the Taj..,

the render is fine now, i deleted a dup i had forgot to delete.., well it needed to be deleted because it may .., well did have some effect on the render

the lighting is very un-natural.., on purpose to try and get highlights on the side so i could see them.

Attached Thumbnails

# 86 01-09-2008 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
and because i like to post every stage of the modeling.., here is a wireframe.

Attached Thumbnails

# 87 01-09-2008 , 11:34 AM
Lifetime Member
This is coming along really well...looking forward to the rest user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 88 04-09-2008 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
nice work this turned out good

# 89 04-09-2008 , 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know if you said this before, but are you going to texture this?

- Genny
# 90 04-09-2008 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
of course im gonna texture this.., and more.., you booty lovin what ever it is user added image what, you think im gonna model this 'an leev it 'just like dat' .., come on.., .., wadda yu gonna do (sorry got the full Sapranos 6 season set and already on seaon 6.., so im the gangster of my own lunch box.

Marlon.., im no where near finished?? there are at least 4 towers left to do.., then the environment. user added image thanks though (its not even smoothed either) thanks though i glad its going well.., im back onto it today.., the sapranos has kept me a healthy distance from the computer.