Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 01-02-2009 , 12:27 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Looks like a great start,
The only thing is that your model seems a bit flat i think it needs a bit more curves i tried to do a draw over , i hope it makes sense:p

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 01-02-2009 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
hey thanks for the suggestion and the draw overs, it might look flat due to the angle and due to the fact that I'm going to pose it so I have it in the bet T-pose I could think of for a creature like this. I'll post up a couple other angles of it shortly.

Will moving vertices mess with my UV's and my mudbox displacements?

# 18 01-02-2009 , 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
Will moving vertices mess with my UV's and my mudbox displacements?

Yes to a degree.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 01-02-2009 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
ok thanks, and here are a couple different angles.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

And why does maya occasionally crash while rendering out these images? I've never had this issue before, is it to do with the displacement maps? I tried to render with more than just 3 lights in the scene and it crashed, I tried with final gather and it crashed, I tried with global illumination it crashed, and I tried with physical sky turned on and it crashed. Am I doing something wrong? I have 3.5gb of ram and a quadro fx 3450 with up to date drivers. And looking at the performance when I hit cntrl+alt+del it doesn't go above 60% of cpu usage.
Why am I crashing? The only thing I can think of is the displacement maps are too large or something (1.98mb .exr file)?

I did mental rays approximation editor>subdivisions>create>edit
Spatial
Min subs 3
Max subs 5
length .1

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 01-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.
# 20 09-02-2009 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
I haven't done any new work, but I did two renders in 780 HD just for the fun of it. Here are some thumbnails.

One question about these, is the detail blocky on the face because of the UV layout I did? If I tweak that UV layout will that completely screw with the Mudbox detailing I did making me have to do it again? For the video I'm making it will be off in the distance the detail won't be a major part of it, but I'd also like to do other things with it so I'd like to make it look good enough for quick close ups.

user added image

user added image

# 21 09-02-2009 , 07:56 AM
The blockyness of the face looks like it might be cos theres not enough polys ther ewhen the dispalcwement was generatred.

If you adjust the UV's yes it will screw with the displacement (as the UV's are whats determining the position of the map). In Zbrush you can swap a models UV's not too sure about in Mudbox though.

For the crashing issue, not too sure but have you tried using the dispalcement map as a mental ray native .map format as it tends to run a lot better when using one of them.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 22 09-02-2009 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
The blockyness of the face looks like it might be cos theres not enough polys ther ewhen the dispalcwement was generatred.

If you adjust the UV's yes it will screw with the displacement (as the UV's are whats determining the position of the map). In Zbrush you can swap a models UV's not too sure about in Mudbox though.

Thanks for the help, in mudbox I went to level 4 I believe, it's like 600,000 faces or something close to it if I'm remembering correctly.

For the crashing issue, not too sure but have you tried using the dispalcement map as a mental ray native .map format as it tends to run a lot better when using one of them.

I heard about the .map but no idea how to change it to that. Right now they displacement map is a .exr file I read thats why I was having my first issue, but then this other one happened with the .exr file. I'll look into .map format and how to go about doing that. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

# 23 31-03-2009 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
well after attempting over and over to texture this guy in photoshop with the UV's I had I realized just how badly done they were. So I snapped out of my rush that I was in and snapped out of my laziness and finally laid out the UV's by hand, here is a snap shot of the checker pattern on champy.

user added image

Now I have to redo my mudbox play that I did previously, hopefully it comes out as good or better this time.

# 24 06-04-2009 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
well I got done in mudbox, and things look more intense when the displacement map is brought into maya and rendered in mental ray.

My main issue is what's happening around the eye here:
user added image

Full Body Render In Mental Ray:
user added image

Full Body Screen Shot in Mudbox (click image then the next image for full size):
user added image

Why are they so different looking? How is that even useful? What one looks like does not look like the other at all when rendered out.

My UV's are not overlapping things look good in the UV's and I wasn't getting this effect in mudbox, only when I render out in Mental Ray does this happen to the eye. Any idea what I could do to fix this? The entire body looks much more bumpy than it did in mudbox to.

Nothing seems to be working out for this, should I just say to heck with the mudbox displacements and just do bump maps and stuff like that with Photoshop? I'd probably have better luck. Or does this look like an issue that will happen with or without Displacements from Mudbox?

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 06-04-2009 at 10:47 PM.
# 25 07-04-2009 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
so unsatisfied me decided to go over the UV's yet again because of the mudbox issue I was having. So here are the UV's and the number pattern applied to Champy

user added image

user added image

hopefully no more issues are had with any of this as I'm sick of UV's for now haha.

I still dont' understand why when I render in MentalRay it doesn't come out ANYTHING like it was in Mudbox.

# 26 14-04-2009 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
well after a week of toying around in zBrush trying to learn the interface which is slowly growing on me. I think I finally got this to where I want it to be. My girlfriend is working on coloring Champy in for me but she's still in the process of figuring it out and getting the hang of UV's (she's never done anything like this but loves Photoshop so I'm letting her have fun with this project with me)

Anyway here is a render with a 3 light system 2 point lights and an area light. Displacement Map and Bump Map 16-bit I will fool around with 32-bit later on.

Render in mental ray:

user added image

I know it's a little dark but that will be fixed when I get more into figuring out the lighting which will be soon. I'm pretty happy with the progress so far and am glad I finally have it working for me. It's been a pain and I've dedicated quite a bit of time to getting this working right, it's been a pain in my ass so I'm relieved I've got this as far as I have.

# 27 15-04-2009 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
soon to start learning about lighting and mental ray rendering for a more realistic look. Texturing still being worked on for more realism. After words I need to rig and animate him which will involve more learning for me. Then after that is all figured out I will try my hardest to put him in a video of Lake Champlain and again going for realism. All this learning has been one hell of an adventure but worth it.

Any comments or crits would be greatly appreciated I'm assuming with no replies that everything is looking good so far.