Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 23-07-2009 , 10:00 AM
The Nurb Herd
no probs, it was done in Max and Photoshop.

# 17 23-07-2009 , 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Looking good Dango. That Motorola city site creeps me out to be honest, with the sterile sci fi ambient music, the uber professional corporate marketing voice over talking about how easy it'll be to access info on people.

Edit: for some reason I typed "but" instead of "be" user added image

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 23-07-2009 at 12:18 PM.
# 18 23-07-2009 , 12:15 PM
Thanks Genny, I promise it won't be anything like that when it's done! lol!

The site is for an online radio station, (three different ones that are linked actually) so it'll be a different type of music in different parts of the site, as it's planned at the moment, the city is kind of dance/pop (I think), there'll be a more trancey/dance section up the mountain, and a more varied selection of older music elsewhere, but that'll be more of an "easter egg" and you'll have to find your way to that part!

Also there will be a record store for buying music, and a club to just listen (the radio part) and there should eventually be an art gallery in the city part, which once I've got some more work done will be my bit, basically a gallery of my work (better get on with doing some...lol) a big screen in the club section for watching music videos, and a movie theater for watching animated stuff (my bit again!)

There's also quite a few other ideas in the pipeline for it but we're just taking it one step at a time at the moment!

Last edited by Dango77; 23-07-2009 at 12:19 PM.
# 19 23-07-2009 , 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Actually that sounds pretty sweet, it's something I'd like to see.

- Genny
# 20 23-07-2009 , 12:25 PM
Cool, thanks again Genny, glad to hear it!

As I'm building the whole thing on my own, working on my own projects (3 at the moment! 1 graphic novel, 1 animated short which is in the script stage, and my current "learning" project, the villain challenge) and trying to learn as much Mayaness as possible at the same time it may take quite a while, but I'll keep updating here and once it's eventually online I'll post a link to it here

# 21 23-07-2009 , 04:59 PM
# 22 25-07-2009 , 08:54 AM
Looking good man.

Is this all gonna be textured?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 23 25-07-2009 , 10:18 AM
Thanks Steve,

Yeah, it's all going to be textured, should be fun....haha!
Not totally sure what time of day the scene will be either at the moment, eventually we want it so the time of day changes depending what time of day you are on the site, but for now the client is swaying towards night time at the moment, so if that's the case there will also have to be a glow effect layer added for some of the car lights, street lamps, and signs that are dotted around, and a reflection layer for the glass in the windows of some of the buildings.
Will also probably have to do this all in several render layers and comp it all in PS otherwise my pc won't be very happy with all the pressure it'll be under! lol

Here's a little update, just started adding some people and cars to get a feel of where it's going, got to add some street furniture to the outside of the building on the left next, which will be the club, which is a link to the radio station of this part of the island.
When you click on the link you'll be taken to a page which will be a shot of the inside of the club, which will be the next scene I'll have to start modeling once this one's done.

There'll be a second radio station in the second area of the site, near the top of the mountain,more a outdoor dance party scene, and a third station in the third area, hidden elsewhere on the island.

But for now I'm concentrating on getting all the city scenes done, Main street first, club second, then record store.Then the client can have this part of the island online while I make a start on the second area which will be the dance section near the peak of the mountain.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 25-07-2009 , 10:32 AM
The Nurb Herd
so is the camera gonna whizz round the corner?

and i was wondering if you are gonna make this look realistic or comic style? It seems like you will need to build a lot of assets. lots of them could be low poly tho.

...i hope you are getting paid for this!

# 25 25-07-2009 , 10:49 AM
Hi Hammer, there will eventually be three animated transitions between pages, one will be up the street and around the corner, but that'll be the last one I do, the first two are half way up the street and into buildings.

The style won't be comic book, realistic, but not ultra realistic either (my skills limit that I'm afraid) I'll just do my best to get it looking as good as I can! lol

I'm trying to make as much low poly stuff as possible, and only get more detailed where the camera get at all close to objects, I've got a very flexible deadline for the site as a whole, more of a page to page schedule we work out as it progresses so I've got the time to work all these things out luckily.

And yes, getting paid thankfully! Can't quite believe my luck as I've been learning Maya for such a short space of time, but very grateful all the same!

# 26 25-07-2009 , 10:59 AM
did you model the cars and people ?

# 27 25-07-2009 , 11:13 AM

Originally posted by ColdWave
did you model the cars and people ?

No, they're ones I got free from 3d world magazine, meant to put that in one of the other posts!
They are for commercial use so may use them in the finally image,don't think I'll have time to model a whole crowd,might do a few vehicles myself though.
So thanks to the guys at the magazine for those!

# 28 25-07-2009 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
i hear if you have rendered a normals pass then you can effectively relight your scene in post

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 29 26-07-2009 , 08:33 AM
Never heard of that, any info?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 30 26-07-2009 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber
I think Ragecgi mentions it in his layer tutorial (not shown though)

and i can't remember where but i have seen someone relight the image using the normal pass. i think... unless i imagined it after being told by more than one person indirectly that it's possible.

haven't done it before so not sure how it's done

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D