Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-10-2009 , 03:49 PM

Black line due to motion blur when rendering

a thick black line is caused when i render scene with 2d motion blur, i have a long corridor with a number of lights, i have turned each light off to see if this caused a problem with shadows, but when i turn off motion 2d blur when rendering the black line which cuts off half the texture on the wall disapears, is this due to a light gap error or anti allising or sonme other fault, can anybody give me some help please?

# 2 04-10-2009 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
Can you post a render up to be more clear?

Cheers,
Chris

# 3 05-10-2009 , 01:50 PM
test render with black bars on both sides

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 05-10-2009 , 01:51 PM
i have been told to change the normals & i have & the bars on the left hand side have changed to the same as the right, the normals are all now facing in?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 05-10-2009 , 01:52 PM
wire render of scene with normals

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 05-10-2009 , 01:57 PM
side view with lights

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-10-2009 , 01:58 PM
view with light wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 05-10-2009 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
are you raytracing your shadows?

i might suggest you render it out and add the motion blur in post. it'll calculate faster so you can experiment with it faster

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 06-10-2009 , 01:12 AM
Technical Director
Strange... If you're only using 2d motion blur, add it in post. That's how it's done in Maya anyways.

3d motion blur is a different story however.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 10 06-10-2009 , 12:15 PM
when u say post, you mean in after effects or a compositing program like that? I was thinking about doing that anyway, but thought it might be very time consuming.
thanks for the advice user added image

# 11 06-10-2009 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by toby.26
I was thinking about doing that anyway, but thought it might be very time consuming.

doing things in 2D is way faster than doing it in 3D
do the motion blur in post (yeah, we mean things like After Effects) because you can experiment with it a lot faster
you don't have to wait a few minutes for your render to happen to see if you like the amount of motion blur because you can see it in an instant

anyway, as next design said, maya adds the blur in post, so you might as well just let maya do the rendering and your post production tool do the fancy addons

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 07-10-2009 , 08:48 AM
thanks for the help, ill give it a blast!
seem to be having another trouble with my hair now when i import my hi res model in as a reference the hair seems to be on the foor, lol
o well, sods law!

# 13 10-10-2009 , 05:13 AM
I've never seen that problem before but if your walls are planes, see if adding thickness to the walls helps. I'm really clueless so it's just a shot in the dark, just the first thing that popped into my head.

edit: I'm guessing that your camera's background color is black and that's why those parts of the walls are black perhaps. If that's true, it's odd that it's picking up the background color like that. I've actually seen that in my own scenes a few times but usually because of render quality too low when using mental ray renderer and mental ray materials.

Perhaps the uv map needs adjusting?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 10-10-2009 at 05:19 AM.