Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 02-08-2010 , 12:04 PM
Lifetime Member
It would be a silent beer then friend...I tend to do the same thing! I tend to tangent quite a bit on an interesting subject. My mind sort of goes like the net...one page follows another in rapid motion...then again after a few beers it can go the other way..LOL I can go quiet as a mouse an think of way too much sciif- crap...bahahahaha:p

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 02-08-2010 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
I see where you're coming from, but let's understand.

As people get older.. they find better things to do than to have sex and reproduce. Young people aren't experienced in it, very curious and enjoy it like a new found drug addiction one may acquire.

Yeah, your friends Grandfather in my best assumption, dislikes the Japanese due to the Pearl Harbor attack. that's where you said earlier about Environment which deals in the psychological aspect of things, a whole nother subject, which could also lead to Nature VS. Nurture theory as well as propaganda.. but moving on that's your friends dad and he's American. He has every right not to buy Japanese, he'd rather keep the money in his country not in another.

As for police, they don't bother me, but they do raise my hairs when they are behind me. I don't know why. guilty conscience I suppose. But in reality I have done nothing wrong so I should know they are not going to bother me. Of course I don't do stupid stuff to make me look suspicious like.. throwing my arms out the windows before I'm even stopped...

People are more good nature'd than you giving credit for. For instance, when bad things happens. Natural catastrophes.. car accidents.. Floods.. etc.. People forget everyday life and help one another, even risking their own life, because instinctively we know, life is important and we are important to each other.

I am thankful police tell you not to drink and drive and am thankful they pull people over who are suspected of drinking and driving. It's very dangerous. To the drunkard and everyone else he comes across. I hope you don't have the news one day of hearing a loved one dieing from being hit by a drunk driver.

It's not the police, it's the law put in motion by a ruling of people. It's there for a reason. Human beings created rules and natural humane laws ever since... I don't know.. most likely before the ten commandments. The first one I would like to say, though I have no idea, would be "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Nuff said. It captures everything in one complete sentence. Laws are for the better of humanity.. not to ruin our fun in life. As age and wisdom progress those things don't sound so bad and become apparently a good thing that the majority agrees upon.

For example. Look at our countries road system. Look at a third world countries road system with no rules. It's chaos.

Handwriting is a art form. It's up there with being able to beautifully draw. It's sad to say but it's dieing out with technology and all, so to hear that is wonderful to me. Because I know my handwriting is, well, I can get the message across but that's about it.

Just imagine the person MOST dear to you. Dieing from cancer. Sick, throwing up all the time, no hair. Eating pill after pill. Throwing up. Shriveling to nothing from not eating. And they die, because that man who had the answer that was working his entire life to find a cure died before he could figure out his calling in life.

I am saying this. This planet is already overpopulated and most people are living to their 80's. Not even close to immortality. So we're screwed on that nonethless user added image

The older you get the faster life goes by. I remember when I was a child, Thanksgiving would come by and I would become excited because all the christmas decor would come about and I knew christmas was near.. and it took Forever to come. Now.. since I am older, more mature, more knowledgeable, less naive. It doesn't even phase me one bit.

while the saying 'wisdom comes with age' is true, it only comes when the person lets it. is what you previously said. You are correct. Accordingly, there are three types of people.

Those who learn from their mistakes.
Those who learn from other's mistakes.
Those who don't learn at all.

At least 2/3 of the population learn and gain from experience which can determine what happens to the other 1/3 by majority.

I'd still have more time to sit back with my granddad and dad even maybe drink a beer and fish while he tells me/us stories of when he was younger. Whom has never said a negative toward Japanese or about them and who was in WW2. Granted user added image Only American cars tho user added image

I don't think lengthening the life span of humans is a bad idea at all. How to do it is the question.

# 18 02-08-2010 , 06:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Whew... some really deep (and long) posts here. I'm not going to give my direct opinion, but refer to Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (I think it was) where there are immortal people in a certain land, and Gulliver thinks they must be the most blessed, wise, and happy people in the world. When he meets them, he finds they are the most miserable people in the world. All they want to do is die.

Good book, worth a read.

# 19 03-08-2010 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
Was working on a project all night and spoke in my barely conscious state of being alive pretty much.

Though, I am unfamiliar with that part in Gulliver's Travels. I just know he kept taking sail and... never making it to where he was supposed to go.. heh one who's considered that doesn't learn..

mmm maybe if we change the air we breathe.. to like.. that liquid oxygen in "The Abyss"

ya know.. the fleurohydracarbon whatever of course then we will have to wear a exo-skelton and be submerged in it.. or at least the head. This will strip out all the inhalent pollutants in the air and take away the wear and tear on the body thus lasting longer user added image

So.. change the air.. blood and.. i dunno.. the exo skeleton i find lame.. so scratch that one..

Peace

# 20 03-08-2010 , 02:03 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmmmmmm you need some sleep by the sounds of it!! LOL you have some good ideas but not as practical as it should be. Maybe having a filter like Predator would help?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 03-08-2010 , 02:18 AM
Subscriber
mmm now adding accessories to the equation.. gonna blow me brain up on that one.. I give up. But I will upload my project when i'm done mate.

Never sleep until it's complete. user added image for me anyways.

# 22 03-08-2010 , 02:23 AM
Lifetime Member
I have to sleep, the project Im working on ATM is a night mare. !2 months inner city estate....services everywhere. I have been flat out trying to place everything...its a real biatch.

cheers bullet

I wish to see this project of yours!

bullet1968

# 23 03-08-2010 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
dude. I bet. That's probably a brain drainer I saw ur video!. With the water collection tubes underground and stuff. Did you have to take measurements? like of the road width.. and the structures nearby?

Sure thing!@ will do.. Am rendering in layers then comp'ing in AE..

The Camera I used was or is set to 3:2 aspect ratio.. I needed 4:3 so.. I had to figure out the lowest resolution I could go and have it the same aspect... well.. the resolution is still high >.< and I guess Motion Blur is complicated. cuz these renders are taking 15 minutes each to pump out. im just now on 165 of 192.

Last edited by Ataraxy; 03-08-2010 at 02:40 AM.
# 24 03-08-2010 , 03:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Nah all the old buildings are gone..BUT everything is related to a boundary or road both horizontally and vertically...real bitch.

Heres the sewer if you are interested..I have as follows to go
Drainage
Water
Gas
Recycled Water
Thermal pipes
Power (underground)
Communications
Road surfaces (and 3D models)
Kerbs

etc etc etc etc

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/DE02829.pdf this is the sewer

bullet1968

# 25 05-08-2010 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ataraxy
but moving on that's your friends dad and he's American.

not overly important, but my friend's grandad is itallian user added image

Just imagine the person MOST dear to you. Dieing from cancer. Sick, throwing up all the time, no hair. Eating pill after pill. Throwing up. Shriveling to nothing from not eating. And they die, because that man who had the answer that was working his entire life to find a cure died before he could figure out his calling in life.

indeed that would be sad.
but a point comes from here too.
if you are immortal then you cannot die to sickness. the only way you can die is by being chopped into bits. if your imortal status kept you from dying from a sickness that isn't cureable then that would be eternal pain. you'd most likely rather want to die than to live in pain.

i think i should say that when i say 'you' or 'your' or it sounds like i'm talking about someone, i am not. equally i could replace 'you' with one, so i hope you (in this case bullet and ataraxy) don't take what i'm saying personally! user added image
i'm more picking out a random instance of a random person

Accordingly, there are three types of people.

Those who learn from their mistakes.
Those who learn from other's mistakes.
Those who don't learn at all.

At least 2/3 of the population learn and gain from experience which can determine what happens to the other 1/3 by majority.

your conclusion 'at least 2/3....' doesn't follow from your three types of people. unless you mean to say that the spread of those types is evenly distributed (or close enough). but i would question your source user added image

People are more good nature'd than you giving credit for.

you're probably right. but it's not usually genuine.
people unite in tragedy. once it's over so is the unity. it will fade into nothing and people will hate/love each other as they once did before a tragedy. obviously it doesn't happen suddenly though.

you're right about rules. a lot of people can't live without someone telling them what to do. that doesn't make them worse than the ones who can live without someone telling them what to do though. a lot of people have a lot of skill but no direction and that's what authorities can provide.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 05-08-2010 , 10:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Chirone baby..how are you..MIA for a few days??

Sorry to disagree one one of your points....IF you could be immortal using my download memories method...sickness is not an issu. You have a brand new body to start with mate.

No not offended...this is all theory and conjecture in the 3rd mate. As for the mistakes stat...well I belive its just like school...top 25% learn middle 50% both learn, learn from others and dont learn..bottom 25% just dont learn. There nice and easy equation.

As for skill and authorities...hmmmm disagree there mate. Take for instance a certain country ATM banning all learning of music of any kind....not so good direction there mate. And the people in authority got there (in the beginning) without direction also. A few excel (some of the above equation..distributed not weighted), so its just a matter of course.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 27 05-08-2010 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bullet1968
Sorry to disagree one one of your points....IF you could be immortal using my download memories method...sickness is not an issu. You have a brand new body to start with mate.

aaah yeah, forgot about that! mind drifts every so often

heh, when you said 'ATM' i read that you saying one of those ATM machines that give you cash is banning music.

for the better part of it, i dont think a country's leader really counts as a decent authority.
neither do most people with authoritive power for that matter.
but there are a lot of cases (i think) of a hacker or grafitti-er just causing a lot of trouble and then someone comes along and uses the power or that hacker or grafitti-er for help them.
or even directors in a movie, someone who directs the power of all the people who have it to make the movie.

you might be right with the whole distribution of those stats, but it still doesn't justify being able to say 2/3 learn and 1/3 doesn't.
also, those three statements really outline 4 types. there are people who learn from their mistakes as well as others.

still... 'dominant logic' (the thought process of 'it's always worked this way so i'll always do it this way, eg Kodak) blocks out a lot of lessons a lot people could/can learn
it takes a fresh mind (some one with an 'empty cup') to spot new things.
eg,
personA: we've always had our mouse with one button, it works, and we'll stick with it
personB: actually if you have more than one button you can work a lot faster and more efficiently
personA: bull****
<personB finishes the job in 30% of the time personA does>

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 28 05-08-2010 , 10:46 AM
Lifetime Member
BAHAHAHAHA...sweet as mate. Person A and B is correct in the short term BUT there would still be a pool of ingenuity and sporadic inventiveness. That will still happen IMO.

I wouldnt say 2/3 or 1/3 but I reckon my stats are pretty good and sound. It is distributed among ALL of the types...some at the bottom may excel...others at the top may not.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 29 06-08-2010 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber
@ Chirone

You said

you might be right with the whole distribution of those stats, but it still doesn't justify being able to say 2/3 learn and 1/3 doesn't. also, those three statements really outline 4 types. there are people who learn from their mistakes as well as others. "

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. In my studies I've narrowed it to the basics

the people who learn from others mistakes also learn from their mistakes. These people are the ones at the top of the bell curve.

the ones who learn from only their mistakes are in the middle of the bell curve.

Those who don't learn from their mistakes or anyone one elses are at the bottom of the bell curve

just clarifying the "argument" of that

Your analogy about the Mouse. Good point. However that thought process is the same as "if it's not broke don't fix it"
which is used for a for reasons. Cost to upgrade or buy new or better is not economical for those people. Or they don't have the time to go through the learning curve again and or are so old and they know there isn't enough in their life to move on with a newer way of doing things.

But, if one is immortal they would have plenty of time to adapt and accept new things and advance with the times

A great example of this is from a movie reference called

"The Man from Earth"

A college professor reveals to his colleagues that he's actually centuries-old, dating back to being born a caveman. And every ten years he has to leave behind where he lives and disappears changes his name and start over because people start to notice he never ages.

He's reluctant to tell them because he doesn't want to become a science experiment but he's worked with these brilliant minds for so long he feels he needs to.

They barrage him with doubtful questions as he explains and answers all their questions with perfect sense. Yet he never ages and is pretty much immortal and as the time progress he adapts to the new things technology and modern society provides.

One example is why doesn't he have any artifacts of his prehistorc times. He picks up a pen and says this time. Would you have this ink pen 100 years from now? You're clothes. You would still have the same clothes you are wearing if you were alive 200 years from now? they answered no. For obvious reasons. they would become obsolete and simply too much baggage from over time to keep up with when they are useless.

Though. He has kept one artifact <well not really a artifact> But Picasso painted him a picture and autographed it to who his alias was at the time.

It's a low budget film but it makes ya think yet he logically explains how and when all the whats. Check it out if u want

gtg for now. meh lady just arrived from being gone! chat with ya folks later!!!!!!!

# 30 12-08-2010 , 10:06 AM
Honestly, just read the first post, but it got me thinking.
No, it is impossible. Humans die when their cells begin to malfunction and fail in large amounts.

This having been said, you should also know that this generation is the first that will die younger than the one before it. It is a result of our lack of proper nutrition thats speeding up our species' physical degeneration (Check out this book, for cool stuff about that: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price )
Now, at this rate, our life-spans will only get shorter and shorter until we wisen-up as a whole.
(Physical degeneration is also why cancer is so popular now-a-days, by the way)

Now, why is immortality impossible? It simply is. Nothing lasts forever, and even if they could vastly prolong your natural lifespan, cancer would eventually incapacitate you, or you would rot from the inside out. In short, we can't live forever because too many factors affect our bodies to counteract them all.

I hope this made some sense. If not, ask for me to clarify and I shall.
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 12-08-2010 at 10:11 AM.