Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-01-2003 , 12:24 AM

Wing Gundam

Okay started the Wing Gundam from one of my favorite Anime series Gundam Wing! I finished the head outside of some fine tuning and smoothing things a bit but wanted to post so I could get some feedback on it! Here ya go! Few hours to do this! Learned a lot about polys that I didn't know... good practice! user added image

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 2 25-01-2003 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
Wow, that's really good. Do you plan on doing the entire body or just the head?

# 3 25-01-2003 , 07:54 AM
Entire body! And then I'm gonna start Deathsythe and then the rest of them! I plan on animating them too! user added image Long project really and I'll keep you guys posted every step of the way! THX for comments guys!

# 4 25-01-2003 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
i was wondering can you show a picture of its head smoothed out. Just interested how it would look. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the body. I was thinking of doing a Gundam in 3D to. Still debating though.

# 5 25-01-2003 , 08:04 PM
Sure I hope to be able to spend some quality time with him today! And as for doing a model go for it! Tougher than I thought but really fun! I've been putting it off for a few years now.

# 6 25-01-2003 , 08:17 PM
oops tuff is what I ment to type... hehehe just got home from work and I'm a little tired! user added image

# 7 26-01-2003 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
I'll keep an eye on this thread, as my polygon expertice isn't that big. hehe I initially though that the head was a space ship... well at least for the first seconds. user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 8 26-01-2003 , 12:22 AM
lol koo man im also a big fan of gundam but no offense or anything it looks kidna choppy but its still user added image

# 9 26-01-2003 , 01:51 AM
wow nice job mate. how did you make this?

# 10 26-01-2003 , 06:07 AM
Thanks guys!
It kinda does look like a spaceship at first glance doesn't it?!?! user added image Luckly when I add the body I shouldn't have that problem... err.. I hope! user added image Anyways I made him with polys and to be more specific a poly sphere. And yes he is choppy as hell... not your imagination or monitor! Just needs to have the crap beveled outa him! user added image Here's an update... didn't get as much done today as I would have liked... Seemed like everytime I sat down for a nice chat with Maya someone came bugging me needing something... oh well still have some time to get more done by the time I crash tonight! user added image

# 11 26-01-2003 , 06:12 AM
Incase you didn't notice there was a bit of body attached to the last image so I figured I'd zoom out a bit and show ya what I've got so far. Feel it's coming along nicely. Let me know what you guys think PLZ keep it coming! user added image

# 12 26-01-2003 , 09:00 AM
Well mates time to call it a night... user added image Want to model more!!!
Here's what I got done.
I am using a poly sphere and a poly cube to shape the body, I have a equal number of verts around the edge of each so that later I can connect the two and then merge the verts together to form one solid uper torso! The bottom torso will be much easier to model since it is really a cube with some skirt type things hanging off it that then under those is where the legs will connect ( a little more detailed than that mind you but you get the idea!) As for arms and legs I'll talk about what I plan to do when I get there! Also here is a pic of the Wing Gundam for those of you that have no idea what the hell it's supposed to look like! user added image
Have a great night ya'll!

# 13 26-01-2003 , 09:02 AM
Sorry Forgot to do the Model first then the pic... user added image

# 14 26-01-2003 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
Hey, one suggestion.. if you can, get pictures of a gundams eyes.... everything is superb just the eyes throw me off. If you could get a pic of a gundams face, then figure out the design of them (probably a rectangle starting thin then moving thicker as it goes away from the nose) and update the eyes on your model. Other than that, I will be looking at this every day to see your gundam model come to life! I am looking foreward months in the future (maybe years) when I get to see this gundam animation movie with Deathsythe and so on! woohooo :banana:

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 15 26-01-2003 , 10:48 PM
Subscriber

Gundam

I have to agree with everyone here. Your Gundam model is turning out to be an amazing piece of work! The eyes do look a little off. You might want to extrude the eyes and set them into the face a little then bevel them to give them more of a curve. Or what might help would be to add a slight glow to them. .01, .02 self illumination so they don't detract from the overall texturing and lighting of the model. Maybe it would give it the impression that the Gundam's optics are 'alive'.

I hope this helps a bit. user added image Amazing job Wicket!

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!