Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-04-2011 , 06:30 AM

XFrog Batch Render Problem..

Hey guys.. I just started experimenting with the plugin XFrog and I love it! Except I cannot batch render for some reason. I'm using mental ray to render, and it works fine when I do a render test for a single frame... though when I try and batch render, it renders all the frames, except for the XFrog plant models. Is there some setting I'm missing? I'm using the 30 day trial.. hope that doesn't have anything to do with it (shouldn't because the website says it's the full version). Please help!

# 2 10-04-2011 , 10:56 AM
Check, might be part of the 30 day trial that they dont let you batch render?

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 10-04-2011 , 11:54 AM
Yeahhh fully functional. Ughhh dunno what to do I've been researching it all night user added image Do you know if using the 'command line' or terminal to batch render may solve the problem? I've never done it that way before but I'm researching around how to do it properly..

# 4 10-04-2011 , 12:22 PM
Might do, though its unlikely. Check the export options with mental ray. Ill have a look later, can you put a scene up for me to look at. If its being expressed in a standard way it might just be a node thats throwing everything off in the batch renderer that isn't recognized.

# 5 10-04-2011 , 12:44 PM
Well.. after many hours of trial and error I finally got it to work! Down side is.. I tried out so many options along the way, I don't know what the answer to the solution was. I'm thinking it was probably that I needed to copy and paste the script/icon/plugin files into the area where maya goes to batch render (if that makes sense.. I'm not too good with terminology lol). I'm on a mac.. I went to the application icon, right clicked on it to get "Show Package Contents" and put the files in the folders accordingly. Do you know if this is where Batch Render gets the rendering info? Its just so weird that it was working for single renders but not batch.

Oh well.. problem now fixed now I guess. Thanks for reaching out.. I really really appreciate it user added image Good karma!

I guess my only problem now is that the quality for the batch render isn't at 'production' level.. though single renders work fine. Any suggestions on that note?

Last edited by amorgan17; 10-04-2011 at 12:48 PM.
# 6 11-04-2011 , 10:24 AM
So how are you launching the renders now? So it looks like the quality changes on mental ray change nothing in the batch render? Check if this is true in other maya scenes in case you have changed something by accident thats effecting all batch renders.

The solution with pasting the plugin files into the batch render packages sounds like its on the right lines, generally rendering is done externally from the main package so if you want plugins to work in the batch the renderer needs access to the plugins used in your maya scene.

Then again it could just be maya isn't telling the plugin to load, might be worth reinstalling XFrog to see if it correctly installs all the libraries / shaders it uses. These are meant to be shared with batch but something may have gone.

If you want to get to the guts of this upload the log somewhere, there will be a line somewhere, cant find x skipping object X.