Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-04-2011 , 04:08 PM

just a simple question.

is there anyway to make like a tetris game? like in the side view? where u can actually rotate the blocks and stuff?

GT
# 2 29-04-2011 , 04:50 PM
EduSciVis-er
You mean in Maya only? Maybe, if you did a ton of scripting. It's not really a simple question. Maya's not a game engine. You could animate the blocks coming down and rotating, but to have that interactive would be an unorthodox and very difficult use of Maya. Hope that helps.

# 3 29-04-2011 , 05:49 PM
Try This:

https://gamesalad.com/

You could make the shapes in Maya and then use this game engine to make the game.

Then there is Unity which you may have heard about:

https://unity3d.com/

Both options have their strong and weak points so download them both and look for tutorials in youtube to figure out which one you will want to use.

Both of these options have people who have created the code that you can buy or download for free depending. Sometimes its good to see the code first than trying to do it yourself.

Do you know java? (There are lots of different 'flavours' of java) That will help in making games as well, unity has some great tutorials on youtube that will help your basic knowledge of java and the type used for unity scripting (EDIT:Java=Javascript in the above paragraph- Sorry for the confusion...., but they are not totally unrelated. A BMW and a FIAT are still cars....,Very different cars but still cars none the less. Some people are exposed (!) to the java platform and programming language (but not javascript) in school)__You can attribute this statement to me just finishing watching the movie "Lincoln Lawyer"!!

The most important thing is you have to understand "game logic" and how the computer interprets your idea in the form of the commands you use to make your idea happen.

Last edited by me2011; 30-04-2011 at 05:45 AM.
# 4 29-04-2011 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
stwerts right, it's very unorthodox to use Maya alone to make something that's interactive

Do you know java? (There are lots of different 'flavours' of java)

its been a few years since i've had to use java but there are...?

there's Java... and... Java... and... Java...
or are you referring to Java enterprise edition and standard edition?
java and javascript are totally unrelated so you can't be referring to that.

In any case, the only reason you'd use java is because you want to write something once and have it be usable on all operating systems.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 30-04-2011 , 05:18 PM
i knew i needed to use unity which is kinda wat i planned on.. but i'll check out the gameslad link thanks guys.. and im not sure about all that java stuff i'm kinda lost about that u really lost me haha user added image

GT
# 6 30-04-2011 , 10:31 PM
If you do the unity tutorials on youtube which are very good you will see how a very simple game is put together and how much work it will take. You will also see that there are many different programming languages that can be used to get to your end result.

Gamesalad may be easier to learn for you so you may want to take a look at that platform 1st.

I am also glad you said you wanted to create a tetris-like game and not a first person shooter right off the bat like others I have seen. I suggest watching all the unity introduction tutorials 1st without taking any notes or following along with the unity trial software- Just watch and observe the 1st time around- if you think its alot of work (and it will be) then you can save your money to buy the next version of MOH instead!! IF you decide the continue you should also start learning a programming language which will be of huge assistance later on if you choose game design as a career or another computer related field. WHen you learn one programming language, it can help you learn another since many of them share similar commands..., its like learning French and then Spanish- different languages but the "core" is similar enough that its easier to learn.

Last edited by me2011; 30-04-2011 at 10:33 PM.
# 7 02-05-2011 , 04:19 PM
soo i have the whole scene with a bunch of blocks modeled and stuff but how can i make it soo i can interactively rotate them as they fall? last year one of my friends made a gun that he could aim and shoot and it would knock down cans.. and i cant remember how he did it.. i mean it has to be something along those lines.. i dont need the blocks to disapear or whatever yet when u get a full line across the field i just want to be able to interactively rotate them as they fall.

GT
# 8 02-05-2011 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
in maya or the game engine?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 02-05-2011 , 11:21 PM
everything is in maya right now

GT
# 10 03-05-2011 , 01:11 AM
EduSciVis-er
To rephrase and repeat Chirone's question: Are you wanting to do this "interactive rotation" in Maya or Unity? It might be a good idea to ask your friend how he/she made this gun shooting.

# 11 03-05-2011 , 01:31 PM
it appears to are determined to make a Tetris game in Maya and you are thinking it should be easy. What you may or may not realize is that your question is not something that anyone does normally with Maya software. I think you might be assuming that if people make parts of games in maya, AND movies/tv shows/medical videos AND commercials with maya, then why not games in Maya? I can see how you might think this would be a good idea without doing more research into the subject. This is why some good people hereare asking you so many questions about what platform you want to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are basically asking is there a MEL script out there that will rotate the bricks and make them fall into a 2D or 3D box or something?

Does this mean that in order to share this Maya-Tetris game with others they have to own Maya???? Doesn't that seem kind of weird to ask without more of an explanation?

Putting on my amateur psychic/psychologist hat (LOL!) I think that you saw a friend do the gun-shooting-the boxes-thing and you want to show them up by making something better!?!? I hope I have not offended and appologies if i have.user added image

Last edited by me2011; 03-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
# 12 03-05-2011 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Hi there gtovey,

you would need to model and texture/colour your blocks in Maya, then export the objects [in a suitable file format] into a game engine/creator such as Unity, Gamesalad, Game Maker or something similar.

You then need to program the movement of the blocks within the game engine software so they fall [for example using a gravity system] and also rotate when you hit the required keys.

So to sum up: When creating interactive games, you can't use Maya by itself - you just create your assets/models in Maya. Basic object movement/rotation would be handled by coding within your game engine or game creator software.

Note that Gamesalad [last time I checked!] was only for the Mac platform, there are several alternatives [such as Game Maker] for Windows-based systems.

Hope this clears it up a little!

Cheers!

Simon

# 13 03-05-2011 , 04:07 PM
thank you guys for everything user added image im gonna take this all in and i'll let you klnkow how i do. thanks for the advice and tips user added image and no you didnt offend me haha.

GT