Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-05-2011 , 02:01 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

My Favorite Toy Challenge - elephantinc

I'm going to model a plastercine model that I made years ago.
I picked it because it's one of the biggest I've ever made and is one of the first I ever made (and is the earliest one I still have). I think it's also the first one that I was happy with the way it turned out. It's not in perfect shape as it was sitting around in a box with loads of other plastercine for years before I baked it and made it go hard but I'm going to try and model all the imperfections too.
I'm not sure why I picked a lobster...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by elephantinc; 04-05-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: The images were upside down for some reason
# 2 04-05-2011 , 03:10 PM
SM Tea Boy
Good luck user added image cool lobster

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 04-05-2011 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
ho ho a lobster! looking forward to your progress!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 04-05-2011 , 10:42 PM
The Nurb Herd
haha cool lobster. you know I only recently found out about blue lobsters. user added image

# 5 05-05-2011 , 05:54 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks for the support.
Its strange I made this, I've never seen a blue lobster. All I can guess is that I didn't have any red plastercine.

I haven't done much yet but I thought someone has to post something.

I'm surprised there aren't more entries yet. Seems like a cool idea to me and there are big prizes.

Attached Images

Last edited by elephantinc; 05-05-2011 at 08:02 PM.
# 6 05-05-2011 , 06:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
I suspect it's the 2 month effect... people figure there's tons of time and then Agh! Crunch time!

Anyway, as far as I know, lobsters are generally only red after they're cooked. They're usually mottled grey green brown and/or blue while they're alive.

# 7 05-05-2011 , 08:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

I suspect it's the 2 month effect... people figure there's tons of time and then Agh! Crunch time!

Anyway, as far as I know, lobsters are generally only red after they're cooked. They're usually mottled grey green brown and/or blue while they're alive.

I don't think I have that problem since I have exams in a month so I need to work quickly. Although in the past I've found I've done loads of 3D during exam season. I think it's because I schedule time to relax but I almost feel too guilty to do anything that isn't productive. I think the more tedious stuff I do the more creative things I want to do to balance it out.

That's definitely true for most lobsters. There might be a few that it doesn't apply to (I guess it depends what you include in your definition of lobster). But I found out they have blue blood which is pretty cool...

# 8 06-05-2011 , 04:00 AM
Lifetime Member
There are lobsters, crayfish, marron, scampi, yabbies...the list is endless.

This is a Marron, freshwater crayfish from where I live, can grow as big as a sea crayfish...and bloody BEWDIFUL to eat

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bl...A&ved=0CBsQsAQ

Good luck with the comp mate...and yes I have started but only collecting ref's.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 08-05-2011 , 11:21 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
The nice thing about this is it is all separate parts, so I can UV map and texture a bit at a time. Usually I get fed up of UV mapping so I might actually be able to finish this one...
Although there are some downsides, he's asymmetrical so it's like twice as much work.

Attached Images
# 10 08-05-2011 , 12:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks fine to me mate, a;most "Ren" eyes...I like it LOL....

bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 08-05-2011 , 12:14 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Ren?

I've got a vague estimate of a texture down.

Is there anyway to have to bump maps on a model? I need it to both depress and extrude.

Attached Images

Last edited by elephantinc; 08-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.
# 12 08-05-2011 , 02:57 PM
The thin red line
Hi elephantic
Yes you can creat a bump map (I think you need a displacement) in photoshop its quite easy so long as you have created UVs. Save out the UV snap shot vuewer in the size you want 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 the size you need then use that as a tenplate, black pushing in white not if (displacement white pushes out), you need any more help just post your UVs and a shot of what you want and I will do a sample.....elephant lovers should stick together........LOL tweeny............dave

# 13 08-05-2011 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber

elephant lovers should stick together........LOL tweeny............dave

Ultimate insult now - cant even get me name right - I starting to think its a Welsh/English thing now.

Love this idea by the way

# 14 08-05-2011 , 03:24 PM
The thin red line
Stand corrected tweetytunes, Im going to have to eat some humble pie yum yum...........dave

# 15 08-05-2011 , 03:41 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Hi elephantic
Yes you can creat a bump map (I think you need a displacement) in photoshop its quite easy so long as you have created UVs. Save out the UV snap shot vuewer in the size you want 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 the size you need then use that as a tenplate, black pushing in white not if (displacement white pushes out), you need any more help just post your UVs and a shot of what you want and I will do a sample.....elephant lovers should stick together........LOL tweeny............dave

Sorry, that should have been "two" not 'to. I need to have bump that goes in and out at on the same model, I thought it would be easier if I could use two different maps but as I type this I think I've got it figured.
Are you a genuine elephant obsessive?

And thanks Tweety.

It's weird purposefully modelling it wonkily. (is wonkily a word?)

Attached Images

Last edited by elephantinc; 08-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.