Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-05-2011 , 09:11 AM

My Favorite Toy Challenge - Dango

Hi all, I'm going to enter this one, and hopefully I'll find the time to finish it this time around. I'm not 100% on what I have chosen yet, but I'm thinking of building the very first lego castle from 1978.
Lego was my favorite toy, this was the very first set I was given, and as I have managed to find the original instructions I should be able to build it exactly the same, and to scale!
If I can I'll model everything, including the figures, and maybe the box it came in if I can find a good enough image to use as the texture, fingers crossed it'll all work out.
I'll post some progress when I have some.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-05-2011 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
if you stick the LEGO name on each bump on each piece like the real thing then you are likely to have the most coolest lego model ever

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 08-05-2011 , 10:26 AM
# 4 08-05-2011 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
i'm entirely serious. you actually should. I would

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 09-05-2011 , 03:14 AM
EduSciVis-er

# 6 09-05-2011 , 03:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Good luck dango....cool toys man

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 09-05-2011 , 06:03 AM
Cheers Stwert,
I got the instructions from that Peeron site but hadn't seen either of those other pages, they will be very useful so thanks!
And cheers also Bullet, I'll do my best!
I got started last night and spent a short while making a few of the different bricks, I'll do a bit more when I get in from work tonight and post some progress then.

# 8 12-05-2011 , 05:34 PM
Finally got some time to do a bit of work on this, getting the sizes right took a while but it's all good now.
I've still got loads to model but I wanted to get a start on building the castle so I could see how it's going, and I'm pleased with the results.
It's really fun! A little bit like playing with real Lego really.
Off out for a beer now, will do a bit more when I get back me thinks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 12-05-2011 , 05:49 PM
The thin red line
My elephant will have those walls down in no time........LOL.........looking good....dave

# 10 12-05-2011 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
how'd you go about mass producing the bumps?

# 11 12-05-2011 , 10:11 PM
I like it Dango! Nice render.user added image

# 12 13-05-2011 , 05:48 AM
Dave:

Lol, as they're Lego bricks I won't argue, they would come down pretty easily! Cheers though, am doing what I can when I have a minute or two spare! Working sucks, I want more Maya time! lol
Chirone:

I just built one bump, worked out the spacing for the single block (1X1), then its just multiplied from there to create all the other sizes. Some of the other blocks were a little more complicated, like the 2X2 one with the hole in the side, but it's not so bad as they are modelled from the bump, not the other way around.

Speedy:

Cheers mate, just wish I had more time to study lighting and rendering as it's where I start to lack on skills. Modellings where I feel most comfortable! lol

Will have another update tomorrow probably, work beckons and I'm running late! LOL!

Last edited by Dango77; 13-05-2011 at 06:04 AM.
# 13 13-05-2011 , 08:05 AM
I'm the same mate. More comfortable with modelling as its what ive done the most of. I like rendering and lighting and seeing the scene come together it just takes time. Texturing is my weakness. >_< I hope to have a model done in a week and spend the remaining time of the first month texturing and rigging then the last month creating a scene and lighting. Thats the plan anyway user added image keep up the good work.

# 14 14-05-2011 , 10:13 AM
Speedy:

Yeah, I would like to get the modelling done quickly and spend more time on the rest, but I have too much fun modelling so I tend to take my time and enjoy it when I can. Id say next in line for me is texturing, I love drawing and painting so I treat it much the same as that. It's all good though, I just enjoy learning so that makes everything a ton easier really! lol

Got a little bit more done this morning, I have about an hour and a half left spare before I go out so whilst I watch a film I'll try and get some more built and another couple more of the different bricks I have left to model done too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 14-05-2011 , 11:25 AM
Subscriber
your enjoyment of this is quite infectious. Looking like a good fun start. Good luck with it. And enjoy the film...