Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-05-2011 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber

all black/transparent alpha

Hello,
As I am new to Maya I hope the following description of a problem I am having is coherent.

I have a scene (Maya 2012) which contains an object, the object has mib_illum_phong and misss_physical shaders applied to it. When rendered with MR it looks good in the Render View window and upon saving a layered PSD I get a PSD file with an appropriate alpha mask. So far so good.

Changing the the mib_illum_phong to a shadingMap/rampShader (connected to the misss_physical shader) followed by rendering also gives a nice image in the Render View window. However, when saving the image (in a variety of formats) the alpha channel has no mask and is completely black/transparent. When loaded into PS, the 5Mb file only shows the transparent alpha channel..

In both cases MR render settings: 'Alpha channel (Mask)', and 'Pass Custom Alpha Channel' are checked; and Image format: Maya IFF is selected.

Any ideas why my object no longer 'punches a hole' in the alpha when using the color ramp?
Does this happen because the rampShader is a Maya shader and not a MR shader?

# 2 24-05-2011 , 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
David did a blog post on this a while back . Hopefully that helps.

- Genny
# 3 26-05-2011 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
Indeed it does - Thanks!