Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-06-2011 , 06:18 PM

Collision detection in maya?

Is it possible for maya to detect collision WHILE modelling? For example I want to make a stack of chairs, but they shouldn't overlap...kinda like Make Live, but the exact opposite, the objects shouldn't touch...

I heard about Rigid Body, but I believe this is about animation, I don't want to animate anything, I just want to use collision detection in my workflow.

Thanks!

# 2 17-06-2011 , 06:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
There's a little tutorial on dynamic placements https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=183&sub_cat=0
Essentially, you can model a chair, duplicate it, place it above the original, turn on rigid body and gravity, let it fall into place (using collision detection) and then delete all the dynamics so you're left with plain old models, but placed correctly. Hope that helps.

# 3 17-06-2011 , 07:00 PM
Exactly what I needed, thanks!! The people in this forum are so helpful user added image

# 4 17-06-2011 , 07:01 PM
EduSciVis-er