Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 11-07-2011 , 12:23 PM
The thin red line
I try to keep clear of displacements as they add to render times also..........dave

# 32 11-07-2011 , 12:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Well you just kicked me in the cods with that one dave.....bugger...bump map then?...man I hate trying to line up UV's etc to get this stuff done properly...f**k......UV's are so illogical.....I want to colour them so I know what Im doing and where..I know I have asked this before..I have tried to do it...oh well...some more Google and reading.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 33 11-07-2011 , 01:09 PM
The thin red line
You could create a normal map (might as well do a occlusion as your at it) from you hi rez mesh to a low rez mesh its under rendering lighting&shading transfere maps, you need UVs layed out for your low rez mesh.........dave

Last edited by daverave; 11-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.
# 34 14-07-2011 , 03:46 PM
Lifetime Member
thanks dave....its screwed anyways...lappy keep locking up at 230 000 faces.....its too much already. Ohsigh well thats that project f****d...bummer, I really wanted to impress you guys...looks like a wasted bird again.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 35 14-07-2011 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
cant remember if you have access to zbrush. You could whack it in there and look up some techniques to continue it. Bet that'd look cool rendered in Z. I been doing all these characters recently but I want to have a go at doing a more hard surface type model like this at some point. You've got it to a really good place, be a shame to discontinue.

# 36 14-07-2011 , 04:00 PM
Lifetime Member
got one render out before it died...sigh.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 37 14-07-2011 , 04:09 PM
The thin red line
Dont give up so quick Bullet, Just start going over year scene see were you can use normal maps for detail also try not using the 3 button, and use instances were you can........dave

# 38 14-07-2011 , 04:10 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ben...I dont think I can save it. I dont have Z and really couldnt use it...I admire you and those that can...the tools are all arse about in that thing Z. Dont worry mate Im pissed right off......I have so much more to do to it! Its only halfway at best...damnit. Oh well...sigh...back to aircraft and the Defiant.....f**k it.

Yes dave you are right...too late now...I will have to read up on more to change things...thought the old girl would take it...she does 2 million points in CAD...obviously not this one LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 39 14-07-2011 , 04:13 PM
Lifetime Member
and I havent smoothed much at all dave...bevelled most of it

bullet1968

# 40 14-07-2011 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
The positive is that you have a better idea of your hardware and maya's limitations, so in future projects you'll be able to throw those considerations into your thinking. I remember when I first started getting stumped by poly limits, and particular, texture space limits and mental ray running out of memory. Felt like I'd hit a brick wall, and was so frustrating. I started doing things like cutting up my scenes to try and render sections out individually...silly things. But there are workarounds.

Out of curiosity, do you have maya 2011 or up? If so, have you tried switching to viewport 2.0?

Edit: If you do call it a day, but are interested, you can try and send me the scene file and I'll try exporting and rendering it in Z for ya...

Last edited by ben hobden; 14-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
# 41 14-07-2011 , 04:56 PM
Acid44
Looking great man, suck the lappy died, but as Ben said, you have a better idea of your limitations now.

# 42 14-07-2011 , 08:22 PM
It's probably a combination of memory and graphics card. Technically, Autodesk does not support anything short of a Quadro GPU (Great if you have a couple thousand to spend on a graphics card that hardware wise is not much different then a GeForce. They justify it by saying the driver development for the Quadro costs more ... Cough Bullshit Cough!).

They are aware that people are using Geforce cards and accidentally borked the drivers around revision 55ish so the Geforce drivers would not work with Maya, I believe in attempt to force people to buy over priced Quadro cards.. They were content to state that Geforce cards are not supported until people started switching to ATI cards and then all of a sudden the Geforce drivers miraculously started working again. Anyway, it's not overly surprising that a laptop starts to have problems with models that are approaching the density of your model. Memory starts to become critical at that point especially if you are running a 32bit OS which limits you to around 1.5GB of usable memory.

The model up this point looks outstanding.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.
# 43 14-07-2011 , 11:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you all so much guys. LOL yeh I hear you ct....I had to update drivers twice now (running GeForce 9600M GT with 512M on 2 CPU's @ 2.66Ghz with 3G RAM Win XP 32 bit)...but yes now I know my limits LOL.

Sure ben I will post the link...its a big file...go for it man...I wont press on...no point really. I run 2009...I do remember somewhere a 'convert to instance'...dont think that will help though.

cheers bullet

P.S ctbram...you humble me with your compliment...you all do.

bullet1968

# 44 14-07-2011 , 11:36 PM
Acid44
I don't know how you're crashing at such low poly count with those specs, my old Optiplex GX520 (P4 @ 3.0, 2 gigs RAM, 256 mb Intel graphics) could run with about 750k-1mil polys, and that was with Vista on it... Do you have other crap running in the background? Seems that either something is crushing your system or the drivers aren't getting along.

Could also be that it's a laptop though, could it be overheating?

# 45 15-07-2011 , 12:25 AM
Lifetime Member
No acid...I turned everything off.....it doesnt crash a lot when modelling...I have also interactive shading on with bounding box...so that helps...ANY render though and it dies...but there is no point to finish the model if I cant render it LOL....I have JUST updated the driver as Maya was crashing big time....then it was fine...now whe I open this file it plays up...I know its not corrupted...cant be...I will try again tonight and see what it does. Its been doing strange stuff since I updated my anti-virus.....but the settings in there havent changed...its like the lappy is in a lag sometimes...especially with any of my CAD programs...hmmmm

cheers bullet

bullet1968