Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-08-2011 , 02:30 PM

Image Plane Issue ...

Why does my Image Plane disappear whenever I click anywhere in the viewport window. Also, the toggle button and pull-down display options for the Image Plane are not functional. The only way to restore my Image Plane visibility, after losing it, is to click on the Image Plane node in "Utilities"
in the Hypershade. It's probably worth mentioning that I'm running Maya 2012 on a Mac Pro.

# 2 11-08-2011 , 04:10 PM
The Nurb Herd
your clipping plane could be set to crappy near and far values.

# 3 11-08-2011 , 06:03 PM

Image Plane Issue ...

That seems to be good ... but even if it were not, why would just clicking anywhere in the viewport cause it to disappear ... like it does ?

# 4 11-08-2011 , 06:39 PM
The Nurb Herd
your near clipping plane was probably too low or something. did you bring in an export from some matchmove software?

# 5 11-08-2011 , 08:58 PM

Image Plane Issue ...

Ok ... It was the clip. This was passed along to me through the agencies creative staff and was converted from the original CAD data. I went back and checked and, as you suggested, the clip was jacked WAY up. The depth was set to 10000. I knocked it down to 100 and everything fell into place. Not sure why it was set so high but anyway its fine now. Many thanks. Its a one more thing I'll be checking as these files come across.