Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-08-2011 , 03:43 AM

Road Texture, I need help

Hi guy's

I wonder how can you make realistic looking road with road texture when the road is long,

Do I need to extend the texture ?

Do I need just duplicate the road plane and combine them together?

for example the road size (length and wide) is 50m by 4m or just centimeter .

any suggestion and link welcome

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-08-2011 , 04:09 AM
Acid44
Duplicate the road plane and combine

# 3 10-08-2011 , 08:03 AM
hi!
there are many ways to do this but the way i would do is (which is easiest in my opinion)

hypershade>select the texture>click input, output connection>texture window>in its properties in side window> go to repeat uv (by default it is 1 and 1, that means whatver your texture is, it will be covering whole plane with only 1 times if you make it 2, the texture would be on plane two times and so forth,) so increase the values to your liking and you will have repeated texture!

simple!

above mentioned method, repeating plane would work too,(maya is flexible) but for a person like me, who has limited ram, the file would become heavier and it might increase rendering time! user added image

regards!

# 4 10-08-2011 , 08:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Okay...lovely glad to see this and advise.

I just finished on a feature film that has 15miles of cg road made in maya - yes thats 15 miles!!! We made different sections, I think around 4 or 5, but these were long strips of geo so the repeats were far less noticeable. the map sizes were 4k and 8k depending on the sections and each UV for the road was split into 2 and then had the seams painted over. I think we managed to get 2 pieces of geo split up into one UV tile. So you end up with 4 uv shells (2 per piece of road geo). And by having the res of the texture hi, when it came to rendering at 2k you couldnt see the loss in quality. We were also using real world scales (metres) so render times were a longer too at this unit.

Also I dont know if you are animating this??? If so consider adding motion blur to it if need be, it will help sell it too. Motion Blur is a huge deal in the industry when it comes to adding it, not too much, not too little....but just right....(said Goldilocks) LOL

anyway hope that helps you along

cheers
Jay

# 5 10-08-2011 , 09:15 AM
The thin red line
Just a question Jay how did you do the surrounding country side..........dave

# 6 10-08-2011 , 12:11 PM
Hey Dave

Well in a nut shell mate we built New York, using hi res models for the foreground stuff and then going thru the levels until we were just doing textures of buildings on cards for the far away stuff. It has to be pre planned though as to where and what the camera will see and how close up too, otherwise you end up wasting time and effort on stuff thats not needed

Jay

# 7 10-08-2011 , 01:35 PM
@ zaina.
Repeat uv's its doesn't work in this way, because Repeat uv is the best for seamless texture. but As you see I have lines ( side road lines) so when you repeat it's looks messy.

JAY

good to hear that you are doing 15 mile CG road. that would be great if I could show us some images of your work or if you could help me how to do the process.

Guys remember that the road is not Straight, some where at the end turns into the left. I may need Uv mapping and Photoshop.

if you know something say something.

# 8 10-08-2011 , 01:37 PM
@ JAY

thanks for reply, I would use the same camera angle as the image reference ( bridge)
something close to the road.

# 9 10-08-2011 , 01:45 PM
The thin red line
Read what Jay said they make 4 or 5 different sections with are UVed then texture. You should be able to do the texture so each can but up to another in photoshop. Then its just a matter of duplicating the parts were you need them..........dave

# 10 10-08-2011 , 04:22 PM
oh ok, user added image no problem.

# 11 10-08-2011 , 04:36 PM
bcoz of the road lines ( white lines) I have to Use photoshop plus the bump-map as well. I thought maybe there is easy why to create the road so It save time and headache.

@jay

What resolution is the best for the texture when I snapshot the uv's, I know you may ask me for the size of the road, but seem all the road are mostly the same size. what about 1024 or higher?

I will try manipulate the road and the texture and see what comes out as result.

So far thanks for everyone for your support. I appreciate. if there is any more suggestion you are always welcome.

# 12 10-08-2011 , 06:23 PM
The Nurb Herd
mipmapping?
...wouldn't this be a good solution for this problem?

# 13 10-08-2011 , 10:13 PM
Texture size should be a little bigger really than what you intend to render out, you can always downsize them later if you feel they are too big.

If the road curves off make sure it has divisions, then just use a deformer to bend it. We used nurbs curves for road direction then animated a flow path object along it so it would look better than just move verts etc.

Cant show you any work, not until next february. Thats the film industry, all NDAs etc...

cheers
Jay

# 14 25-08-2011 , 09:51 AM
you right jay, the nurbes curve is excellent for that road. its follows the curve and I can add more divisions to it,

you are right

# 15 25-08-2011 , 10:13 AM
cool - well done

Jay