Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-08-2011 , 06:35 PM
Carbon Studios CEO

Rant: Income Share

<Rant>

I am growing really annoyed at the fact that people think Income Share on a project is someone looking for Free Labor. I realize people are suspicious because there is a lot of kids out there with unrealistic goals and/or dreams however Start-Up game studios also rely on the Income Share pay mechanic in order to get started. So by people not willing to look into this style pay structure is harming the independent developer market beyond repair because private investors and banks won't deal with a game company who have not already had successful products on the market. Income share in the Game Development community does involve some risk for the party agreeing to accept the term but the company is also giving away percentage of the income which is also a very risky thing because if that person does not stick around then the company is stuck paying royalties to a developer that is no longer on the team.

</Rant>

# 2 19-08-2011 , 06:58 PM
SM Tea Boy
I'd say a large percentage of start-ups of this nature never make it, no income to share if the project never makes it. Hell half of the commercial games projects commissioned never make it. It's an extremely risky business. In fact I've got friends working in major game studios that have probably spent more time working on games that where canceled than they have working on stuff that made it.

Come work for us and if we make some money we'll share it with you? While i understand the concept and think what your doing is great, you can't expect it to be easy. Most people will not work for nothing. If they where prepared to take that sort of risk they would be working for themselves.

It's not just games development, banks and investors won't lend to anyone with out a proven track record especially at the moment.

Most people have to do it with the three f's then angel investors then banks or venture capitalists. I hope your project works I really do and I'm not saying profit sharing wont work or is a bad thing. I do however know from experience that's it's one of the hardest most frustrating ways to get a project of the ground.

On a side note we're just started a new https://simplymaya.com/articles/ Articles section on this site (just went up a few hours ago), we expect it to be seen by more than a couple of thousand people a day. If you like we will put an article up about your project and what your hoping to achieve this may help you out a bit. If your interested pm Miss_Nova.

Best of luck with your project its not easy is it.
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 19-08-2011 , 07:09 PM
Carbon Studios CEO

I'd say a large percentage of start-ups of this nature never make it, no income to share if the project never makes it. Hell half of the commercial games projects commissioned never make it. It's an extremely risky business. In fact I've got friends working in major game studios that have probably spent more time working on games that where canceled than they have working on stuff that made it.

This does not mean all start-ups that use this model are going to fail. I have been in the game dev industry a very long time and have access to the most advanced turn-key mmo game development solution on the planet.

Come work for us and if we make some money we'll share it with you? While i understand the concept and think what your doing is great, you can't expect it to be easy. Most people will not work for nothing. If they where prepared to take that sort of risk they would be working for themselves.

Nothing is ever easy however with a team that is willing to try hard and be diligent, the project can succeed. The success of the project needs to be up to the team which includes all the members.

It's not just games development, banks and investors won't lend to anyone with out a proven track record especially at the moment.

I understand that the industry is a risk however just like when a project is looking for investors, there is risk involved.

Most people have to do it with the three f's then angel investors then banks or venture capitalists. I hope your project works I really do and I'm not saying profit sharing wont work or is a bad thing I do however know from experience that's it's one of the hardest most frustrating ways to get a project of the ground.

I have dealt with investors in the past and had a whole company go tits up because the investor did not want to pay the staff. I do not wish to deal with investors on this project and will not resort to doing so.

On a side note we're just started a new https://simplymaya.com/articles/ Articles section on this site, we expect it to be seen by more than a couple of thousand people a day. If you like we will put an article up about your project and what your hoping to achieve this may help you out a bit. If your interested pm Miss_Nova.

I do not wish to put detailed information about the project on forums or articles because this is considered public release of sensitive information. If anyone wants to contact me, then they are free to do so without any obligation to the project.

Last edited by DragonRIft; 19-08-2011 at 07:24 PM.
# 4 19-08-2011 , 07:39 PM
SM Tea Boy

This does not mean all start-ups that use this model are going to fail. I have been in the game dev industry a very long time and have access to the most advanced turn-key mmo game development solution on the planet.

No it just means most of them will fail.

Nothing is ever easy however with a team that is willing to try hard and be diligent, the project can succeed. The success of the project needs to be up to the team which includes all the members.

A team that will only be paid on a successful project. Your asking people to take a huge risk most people will not do it. Simple as that.

I understand that the industry is a risk however just like when a project is looking for investors, there is risk involved.

Yes but how much?

I have dealt with investors in the past and had a whole company go tits up because the investor did not want to pay the staff. I do not wish to deal with investors on this project and will not resort to doing so.

Then you found the wrong investor sorry to say, no reason not to try again.

I do not wish to put detailed information about the project on forums or articles because this is considered public release of sensitive information. If anyone wants to contact me, then they are free to do so without any obligation to the project.

Then your going to fail IMO. The best way to get people involved in a pay on profit scheme is to get them excited about the project, make it something people want to be involved in. Who wants to go through the hassle of having to contact someone about a project they know very little about, only to find out it's not for them.

Anyway different strokes I guess.
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 19-08-2011 , 07:49 PM
Carbon Studios CEO

Yes but how much?

A large portion of teams fails due to the fact that developers and investors do not see eye to eye.

Then you found the wrong investor sorry to say, no reason not to try again.

I already have a full team minus the character artist, who have already agreed to take part in the venture so looking for an investor for the project will not be happening, nor will we add that additional risk of both splitting the shares further to secure an investor or risk harming/risking the success of the project due to an investor.

Then your going to fail IMO. The best way to get people involved in a pay on profit scheme is to get them excited about the project, make it something people want to be involved in. Who wants to go through the hassle of having to contact someone about a project they know very little about, only to find out it's not for them.

Anyway different strokes I guess.

I am willing to discuss the project in a private conversation but I do not wish to disclose the information in public. This does not mean my project will fail just because I will not conform to pressure from the public.

I am looking out for my project, its developers as well as reducing the risk of public criticism because you cannot please everyone in this world. Even if you wish to do so!

Public criticism can be damaging to a project long before the project has the ability to see the light of day, and the MMO game industry is a very lucrative market.

# 6 19-08-2011 , 08:11 PM
SM Tea Boy
Public criticism, in my opinion is the best things for a project, but we obviously have different philosophies. I'm an open source kind of guy.

Anyway best of luck with it, maybe I'll play the game one day.

Dave user added image

# 7 19-08-2011 , 08:13 PM
Carbon Studios CEO

Public criticism, in my opinion is the best things for a project, but we obviously have different philosophies. I'm an open source kind of guy.

Anyway best of luck with it, maybe I'll play the game one day.

Dave user added image

Take a look at the changes that I made to my recruiting post. user added image

- Edit: I am open to discuss this issue with anyone else who would like to be open with regards to the subject.

Last edited by DragonRIft; 19-08-2011 at 08:15 PM.
# 8 19-08-2011 , 08:19 PM
SM Tea Boy
Cool I don't think anyone expects trade secrets. But by opening it up a little and giving people a look, I personally believe will get people more excited and more inclined to take part. Or at least apply to take part.

Now all this talk about games has given me the urge to go play one.
Dave user added image

# 9 19-08-2011 , 08:24 PM
Carbon Studios CEO

Cool I don't think anyone expects trade secrets. But by opening it up a little and giving people a look, I personally believe will get people more excited and more inclined to take part. Or at least apply to take part.

Now all this talk about games has given me the urge to go play one.
Dave user added image

As I stated prior, anyone who wants more information can contact me on Skype and I will do a screen share and show them some of the stuff we have been working on. But I do not want to disclose things to the public.