Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-02-2012 , 01:29 PM

Quick set up for blue prints needed

I think I saw a tutorial once that showed how blue prints are set up in Maya, I think it was an actual function designed for that very purpose (unless I'm confusing it with some other app). Can some one point me in the right direction, It's time for me to get serious with Maya and make a car.

# 2 17-02-2012 , 03:11 PM
1. create the ortho images
2. go to the proper ortho view
3. click the view tab
4. image plane > import image

You can also...

1. create the orthos
2. create a material (like a lambert)
3. click the checker box of the material's color
4. select file and link to the ortho image
5. create a poly plane with the correct aspect ratio
6. apply the material with the ortho image to the plane

Attached Images

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 22-02-2012 , 01:41 PM
Thanks for that. I've ended up using the poly plane process, but I found it odd that the image planes are very hard to work with, I couldn't scale them or move them or even delete them,(well they seem to be a camera property of some kind).

# 4 22-02-2012 , 03:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, you have to work with them in the attribute editor for moving, scaling etc. You can delete them in the hypergraph or disconnect them in the attribute editor.

# 5 22-02-2012 , 11:52 PM
Lifetime Member
I use poly planes...a lot quicker and less fuss....make sure you put them in a layer and then lock the layer...nothing worse than grabbing a ref and moving it when modelling LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 23-02-2012 , 04:02 AM
user added image

Is there a way the have the polygon I'm working on be a wire-frame rather than a solid shade so that I can see through to the blue-print behind, it seems that everything becomes a clear wire-frame (Background included) and I need to be able to see the reference to know where to place my divisions.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions on this forum.

# 7 23-02-2012 , 05:09 AM
press the xray button or select shading > xray or create a lambert and make it partially transparent and apply it to your working plane

Attached Images

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 23-02-2012 , 06:21 AM
Lifetime Member
yep as ctbram said..though x-ray can get a little confusing sometimes as you will obviously have all verts visible. When you have assigned the shader and ref to a plane do ct's second option and use transparency to make them slightly transparent. You also need to move your ref planes 'back' out of your work area. Unlock the layer they are on and move them back -10 on the grid then relock them. They will get in your way...and dont worry there is no scale issue when you move them away from centre grids.

There is no harm in asking questions...have a look in the Maya FAQ that stwert started some of your answers may be in there. If not...post away...thats what we are all here for mate...good luck.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes