Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-09-2011 , 06:59 AM

nparticles invisible in container

I'm using mia_material_x_passes on a container for realistic glass and something strange is happening. I can see the other side through it and other objects when rendered. And If I place a cube inside I can see that too. However when I place an nparticle emitter inside I cannot see the resulting clouds for some reason unless I view from inside the container. Being inside the container makes it invisible. What is the reason for this?

I've set the rendering to mental ray production preset and I clicked the particle system to make it visible in reflection refraction

Also...is there a way to see mental ray materials in the viewport?

# 2 20-09-2011 , 07:23 AM
The thin red line
You need to animate your particals first then convert to polygons, in the npartical attributes there change the output mesh settings...........dave

# 3 22-09-2011 , 05:56 AM

You need to animate your particals first then convert to polygons, in the npartical attributes there change the output mesh settings...........dave

The closest thing I could find to what you describe is the output Mesh section in the nparticleshape tab of the attribute editor which is already set to triangle mesh. The nparticles seem to work with transparent blinn but the dielectric and mia glass seem a no go except for 1 occassion that worked for some reason.

# 4 22-09-2011 , 06:35 AM
The thin red line
You need to animate the particals first then with the npartical selected go to "modify,convert and select nparticals to polygons" the polygons you have just created will follow the course of the nparticals. You will need to adjust the output mesh but I cannot tell you what to adjust without seeing what you have also you need to assign a mai meterial set to water preset............dave

# 5 24-09-2011 , 11:04 PM
thanks for your help so far. It worked since meshes are visible in the glass but it turned the system into a blob. I'd rather adjust the system as nparticles and it doesn't make sense that you'd have to turn the particles into mesh just to see it through glass while it remains visible in every other situation. I've attached some pictures to give an idea of what is happening. The first shows the object and the render with mia material thick glass preset.

The second shows the present used and a render with transparent blinn. I've tested with Visible in reflections and refractions is checked for particle system and preview global illumination and production for render.

material assigned through assign material option not hypershade

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jarwulf; 24-09-2011 at 11:08 PM.