Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-09-2011 , 09:33 PM
Noober than noob

Trouble with applying fur to a character.

Hello. I have just registered today. Can someone help me with this issue, please?
I am trying to add fur (hair) to a character's head, but every time I select the facets and apply fur, it doesn't get applied just to the selected area, but the whole character. How can i stop it from doing this?

Also, rendering the fur takes quite long (about 10 seconds) with Maya Software. The program is Maya 2012. Computer specs: 3 GHz dual core CPU, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB video.
The fur i am trying to render is short and has no extra effects added to it either.

# 2 20-09-2011 , 09:46 PM
The thin red line
You need to floud with baldness then start painting...........dave

Edit:then you start using fur or hair render times do go up

Last edited by daverave; 20-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.
# 3 20-09-2011 , 09:55 PM
Noober than noob

You need to floud with baldness then start painting...........dave

I'm a newbie to the advanced stuff in Maya, I used to work with 3ds max before and just recently started modeling in Maya.
Painting seems to not work on the character at all for some reason. I have created it using the subdiv proxy and then deleted the original mesh and kept the subdiv instead. Could this be the reason?
This is what I'm trying to apply the hair to. And in the tutorial it says to simply select the top part of the head of the character and add hair from Hair menu, however i am not trying to use the menu. I want to use the pre-set hair in the Fur lists.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-09-2011 , 10:01 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I dont know what tutorial you are refering to but my advice would be to duplicate the head and create a skull cap for the hair, apply the fur and paint out what you dont need.

Using a cap will be far easier than the whole geo.

Jay

# 5 20-09-2011 , 10:12 PM
Noober than noob

I dont know what tutorial you are refering to but my advice would be to duplicate the head and create a skull cap for the hair, apply the fur and paint out what you dont need.

Using a cap will be far easier than the whole geo.

Jay

I did that before but was wondering if it would be the only way.
See attachment for what it looks with the copy of the skull's cap.
And rendering is way slower than it would be for rendering a simple geometry i.e. a sphere with a ton of hair on it. What could be causing this?
Also, when I move the cap, the hair just seems to "run" away from the cap. O_o
This character's supposed to be animated in the end so what should i do to keep the hair on to it? I think that the moment I'll bind it to a skeleton, it will just lose his hair LOL!

The tutorial I mentioned is found online from the Maya 2012's Help menu. It's a step by step manual but it doesn't help much with what i want to do...

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 20-09-2011 at 10:18 PM.
# 6 20-09-2011 , 10:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well that shouldnt happen, at all. The cap should/can be parented to the rig as its non deforming, and the hair should stay there. Also it shouldnt render slower, no way.

Jay

# 7 20-09-2011 , 10:28 PM
Noober than noob

Well that shouldnt happen, at all. The cap should/can be parented to the rig as its non deforming, and the hair should stay there. Also it shouldnt render slower, no way.

Jay

Well it does happen if i use the move tool on the cap. The hair just slips away as if its pivot is somewhere else (it kind of is, because the move tool is far away from the hair if i select the hair...).
And I can't figure out why it renders slower. I haven't added any extra effects, lights... just the eye texture and that's about it. I think it will be a loooong way till I'll be able to render what I'm planning to. I've heard that one must have at least 12 GB of RAM to even do anything with this software, yet others managed to make good enough stuff on Maya with just 2 GB.

# 8 21-09-2011 , 02:09 PM
Noober than noob
I've found another tutorial that says that I should select the faces with paint tool and Create UVs> Cylindrical Mapping. I tried that but when I select it, nothing happens. So I cannot link that to fur description. Why is this happening?
Sorry but I'm a total noob in this. -_-
I also get this error:
Warning, Fur requires non-overlaping UVs in the 0-1 texture space. Please ensure that your UVs are normalized.
What does this mean?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 21-09-2011 at 02:21 PM.
# 9 21-09-2011 , 03:54 PM
The Nurb Herd
maybe you should learn some of the basics before working with fur.

UV mapping is a basic concept in maya and you should really know what it is, as it is directly linked to maya fur.

# 10 21-09-2011 , 04:03 PM
Noober than noob

maybe you should learn some of the basics before working with fur.

UV mapping is a basic concept in maya and you should really know what it is, as it is directly linked to maya fur.

I can't quite get why the UV mapping won't work as described though. I mask half a sphere using paint tool and use UVs on it but only half of that half i've selected will be covered by fur. Where can i find some info about UV mapping? I'll search the lessons list but idk if i'll get what it means.

What should i be looking for? UV Texture or some other thing related to it?
Basically i want to test this on a sphere: to cover all facets that are selected. How can i do that?

# 11 21-09-2011 , 04:27 PM
The thin red line

# 12 21-09-2011 , 04:35 PM
Noober than noob

Look at this tutorial should give you a idea how UV mapping is done..............dave

https://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/aut...-in-maya-2009/

Thank you, i had no idea that i could delete the UVs of the initial model. But it doesn't mention the use of fur, it shows texture maps though. I'll see what i can use from it for what i need.

# 13 21-09-2011 , 04:42 PM
The thin red line
As far as I know most fur tutorial will not show the correct way to UV map if they show any UV mapping at all...........dave

# 14 21-09-2011 , 04:47 PM
Noober than noob

As far as I know most fur tutorial will not show the correct way to UV map if they show any UV mapping at all...........dave

Well, so far i've figured how to expand the hair over the surface... but i think i will need to select a bigger area than the one i want covered in order to have the shape of the hair i want. What i want to do is make the char have some kind of a faux-hawk short spiky hair.
And by the way the rendering time goes, i'll spend 33 minutes rendering 100 frames for an animation when i'll be done. Considering that i'll put the character in an environment that's supposed to have grass too... it may take even more.

Attached Images
# 15 21-09-2011 , 05:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
UV mapping is typically used to unfold your 3D model so that a 2D texture can be applied. Fur is also a bit like a 2D element (in terms of area) covering your 3D model, so the UVs need to be laid out correctly in this case as well.