Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-10-2011 , 07:08 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

R.I.P Steve jobs

# 2 06-10-2011 , 07:42 AM
Acid44
Read about this a few hours ago, I find it odd with how recently he resigned to a lower position

# 3 06-10-2011 , 07:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh he is gone...young too really in the scheme of things...great vision.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 06-10-2011 , 09:37 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 5 06-10-2011 , 11:40 AM
Lifetime Member
Im Atheist Jay..but that snippet said to me more than religion...it was about a man...with vision, attention to detail, and above all...a dreamer..but one that made and forged those dreams into reality..a rare gift among the multitude called primate..nice story.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 06-10-2011 , 12:25 PM
This has left me feeling very sad today. Steve Jobs represented, to me anyway, the idea that you don't have to conform and that if you believe in something strongly enough you shouldn't let anything or anyone stand in your way.

I first saw an Apple II in 1981 at college, we couldn't use it as the UK educational establishment had set it's stall out with the BBC Micro.

The Ridley Scott 1984 commercial introduced me to the Macintosh and in 1989 I set up my own Graphic design business. I mortgage my soul to buy a Mac iicx, 19inch mono monitor, Agfa Mono Scanner and an Apple Laserwriter. I coupled this with Quark Xpress, Freehand and Photoshop. Total cost £19,000 ish.

I was branded an 'idiot', a 'fool' and had the old school telling me, in between coughing up their spray mounted lungs, that digital artwork would 'never catch on'.

I no longer use Apple having moved over to PC with my move to 3D but next to seeing the twin Suns of Tatooine on the screen aged 12 Apple and Steve Jobs have made a huge impact on my life and that is why it is a sad day.

Attached Images
# 7 06-10-2011 , 01:01 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Bullet Im the same mate , it was a poignant article.

ClearAirStudios: You sound very similar to myself when I started out, though I didnt buy my stuff as I was working in a photographic studio. I was the only guy doing photoshop and was 'sniffed' at by the chemical mob LOL. I was using a Apple Mac 5670 if I recall, I then went onto the G3, I was also hooked up with the scanner and film recorder. I havent used a mac since 2000, because of the VFX studios use PCs but I always - always look at a mac if I see one - they have so much personality unlike a PC, which is just another machine. But I can happily say that my ipod is part of my idiom and goes everywhere with me

cheers
J

# 8 06-10-2011 , 01:20 PM
The Nurb Herd
iSad......

# 9 06-10-2011 , 02:34 PM
Sad to see him go.

Steve was a good negotiator. While working at Sun we had a meeting with him about acquiring a metric butt ton of hardware to use in the render farms for the Toy Story movie. Steve wanted it all for free and of course the Sun VP in the meeting kept pressing him for something - cash, credits in the movie, anything. But Steve would not budge. Finally, the VP asked him if he had his wallet and if he had a dollar in it. Steve grudgingly gave him a dollar for a couple hundred K worth of machines! Sun still got some advertisement though so I guess it was a good investment.

I will always remember my first experience with a Macintosh, it was at University of Michigan. I had stayed up most of the night working on my term paper on one of those tiny macs. I had finished the paper and saved it to a floppy then realized there was no button to eject the floppy. I asked someone in the lab "How the heck to I get my disk out?" and he replied "just drag the drive letter to the trashcan". I was sure he was just screwing with me but eventually I dragged it to the trashcan with my eyes closed, fingers crossed and sucking up seat material with my butt cheeks in fear. Kudos to the engineer that came up with that idea lol.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
# 10 06-10-2011 , 03:30 PM
The world. for better or worse, was irrevocably altered by this man.

There will never be another like him in our lifetimes.

# 11 06-10-2011 , 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member
Steve Jobs passing really is a sad moment in our day. Although I am not a big Apple fan I would never deny how great a mind and personality he was. user added image I have seen a lot of people die having worked in hospice as a nurse and the simple fact that he was able to survive as long as he did with pancreatic cancer is miraculous itself.

So long Steve.

My condolences,

Jake

# 12 11-10-2011 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
I once again lose faith in people as i hear them say crap like 'i laughed when he died' and 'oh but he wasn't even a good person' and 'his personality is shit, trust me'
when those people have never had contact with the guy...

silly fanboys... can never take them seriously...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D