Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 11-10-2011 , 04:39 AM

A newbie needs help with cameras.

So I need help on a few things involving cameras. My assignment was to use our plane that we modeled with poly's and animate it on a motion path(used cv curve tool) and have a camera above it follow it. Now I got that down perfect.

But what I don't have a clue on is how do I attach a camera on the same motion path as the plane and have a camera angle right behind the spinning propeller? Like a cockpit view.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone.

# 2 11-10-2011 , 05:08 AM
(1) create a camera
(2) place the camera where you want it (cockpit area)
(3) parent the camera to the airplane (pick the camera, shift pick the airplane, press p-key)
(4) attach the airplane to a motion path

Now as the airplane moves along the path the camera will move with it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-10-2011 at 07:24 AM.
# 3 11-10-2011 , 07:19 AM
Select the camera and shift select the plane and press "p" ! That will parent your camera to the plane geometry. Alternativley you can open you outliner and middlemousdrag your camera right onto the plane (group or mesh...the one which is attached to the motionpath).

# 4 12-10-2011 , 12:05 AM
That worked perfectly guys thanks. But Now I'm having trouble with the 3rd and last camera. Following behind the plane as if it's another plane chasing it. I don't think I'm doing it right. I tried setting a camera behind the plane and parenting it. But once I do that and press play to watch it. The plane tips around and doesn't move. Clearly I'm not doing it right I think it's because there's already a camera parented to the plane. (the cockpit view)

# 5 12-10-2011 , 01:07 AM
I think maybe you are parenting the plane to the camera instead of the chase camera to the plane. Select the camera (chase) then select the airplane, then press p. You can also middle mouse drag the camera onto the airplane in the outliner.

Position the chase camera where you want it and as the airplane moves the chase camera will maintain its relative position to the parent (airplane).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 12-10-2011 , 04:00 AM
Thank you!