Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-10-2011 , 03:05 AM

Low res models

I have a model in zbrush that I want to send back to Maya, but everywhere I read it talks about making low res models for game assets. Is this possible to do in Maya after Import my model from zbrush. I can't seem to find and documentation on exporting a low res model in zbrush..I'm sure you can though..

# 2 15-10-2011 , 03:40 AM
I just did some more research and learned about baking. I'm gonna research this more, but I have more maya questions. How to I check the poly count of a model. When A model is created with primitives, and what not is it already considered a low polygon model?

# 3 15-10-2011 , 03:53 AM
I created the exploding canister in maya, exported to zbrush, added stuff to it, and reimported it to Maya, and the poly count wasn't different at all..and in the uv editor there's nothing in there...I made sure to make a uv map in xbrush, lol...this 3d stuff is hard.

# 4 15-10-2011 , 04:18 AM
well I wasn't in 3 mode there in maya, so I wasn't viewing the model in it's highest form...lol...I still have questions though, like how do I export a low res model, and a high res model for baking? Is baking possible in maya, or should I use something like 3d coat?

# 5 15-10-2011 , 09:35 AM
Hi,

normal workflow would be to model a low-res base mesh in maya, export it as an .obj,
then take this into zbrush. You'd then add divisions, add detail, then re-export the low level as an obj, generate a displacement/normal map, then render these in maya.

You can generate geometry/re-topologise in zbrush but it's not something I know much about personally.

cheers,

gubar

Edit: Hi,

just had a look at your other posts. I think you should work your way through all of the tutorials in Maya's help files, they will help you out a lot. Then you can google tutorials for modelling, texturing, sculpting etc, you'll find plenty for free on the net.

Last edited by gubar; 15-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
# 6 15-10-2011 , 11:17 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ive just seen this on my way out, I'll get back to you later - its not hard dont worry, its just an order of things to do really -if that!

Jay

# 7 15-10-2011 , 11:32 PM
awesome, thanks for the posts, I love. I'm definitly learning though, I'm up to my neck in books, and tutorials, haha.

another question about maps, and what not. I'd like to learn the baking methods, and what not, but say I wanted to create a lot level game. I'm not the best designer anyway. Say I wanted to use my low res meshes as they were created in maya, and apply a simple texture, through hypershade, and bump map if necisary is there any baking required in that?

Say for making a game like you'd see back in the early to late 90s..

lol.

# 8 15-10-2011 , 11:38 PM
Just wondering. When you create a model in maya using primitives, and what not. Is the finished model considered a low res model, or is there a specific way of exporting your low res model?

# 9 15-10-2011 , 11:47 PM
Okay. With regard to game models Im not really that savvy as I work in the film industry...but techniques are similar for higher res models.

Usually we import an obj into Zbrush and then do a sculpt, paint maps or whatever. To create a nice texture, normal or displacement you have to divide up the geo to get a good result, this will then give you better quality maps. To export the model from zbrush scroll down to export open the options out. It should be defaulted to Quad, Texture, Merge and group....just turn off 'group' then go back to the top of the tools menu and hit export. Baking maps can be done in Maya but you can export the same maps in Zbrush alot easier after you sculpt. For your UVs, its best to do those in Maya first. Dont touch the UV buttons in Zbrush unless you have to though, usually good uvs from maya are going to be more benefical than those in Zbrush as they are better for editing. If you turn off uvs in Zbrush from a Maya imported model you will lose the uvs!! Be warned.

In maya you can add a smooth to the lo res model if you want when doing displacements. Normals are best displayed thru the High Quality render setting in GUI. This should allow for you graphics card to display the normal map in real time....

Jay

# 10 16-10-2011 , 12:03 AM
"just turn off 'group'" Doing this type of export with export each file seperatly?

# 11 16-10-2011 , 10:24 AM
Usually best...I'll leave it to you

You did ask how to export the model....thats my answer

J

# 12 16-10-2011 , 10:17 PM
I appreciate the help, lol, Just making sure I understand what you're saying.