Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-10-2011 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber

Newbee:Texturing a house

Hi all,

I was starting a few weeks ago with Maya 2011 trying to modeling some houses, log cabins, barns etc. for a game (Farming Simulator 2011). I started with Google Sketch-up 8 Pro but this tool is creating to much polygons and people suggested to me to try Maya.

Now I want to texture the facades of a house, barns (wood, old wood) in such a manner that this is looking more realistic as just paint there a texture.

Somebody that know some good tutorials for me? Or some hints or helps pointing me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance for an answer.

Lecra

# 2 16-10-2011 , 12:31 PM
Senior Software Developer
Maya is a great tool, but you have to remember that there are huge differences in texturing and dealing with assets for games and assets for movies. Games need much less overheads so keep your ploy counts low and use the specified texture types of the game engine. SM has a tutorial for Texturing for games and poly modelling for games and the sites own Mike McKinley has a couple of books published on the very subject of modelling for games. Take a look at the games videos first, they are not free and even though they do cover an organic character the principles are the same.

Good luck and enjoy.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 16-10-2011 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
Chris,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I agree with you that I have to keep the amount of poly low but this game is not cartoon related or so. You can really build realistic buildings (the outside view). I have to create the buildings in Maya (3ds or C4D works also) and then export all the stuff with an exporter plugin created by the game engine developer.
If i put just a texture from an image it is not the same as a really realistic texture (material?). I don't want only to modeling for this game but also for my pleasure and improve my skills in Maya and other 3d software.
Thank you for the hints. I will give them a try, but if there are good tutorials for this kind of work, please let me know!

Many thanks Chris.

Lecra

# 4 16-10-2011 , 01:22 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 16-10-2011 at 01:30 PM.
# 5 16-10-2011 , 03:38 PM
Senior Software Developer
Dude the second one is not really going to work for games. UVing will be fine but dealing with the textures might be a bit out, as he is doing a model for game stick with gaming based tutorials.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)