Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-10-2011 , 11:51 PM
Noober than noob

Does anyone know a good tutorial for modeling clothes?

Hello, it's me again.
This time, I'm trying to make clothes for a character. I managed to use nCloth and the animation works well, however, I'm creating the clothes wrong.
I make a cube and then extrude the sleeves and delete the face where the arms should go and then when I smooth the mesh, the sleeves turn into squares (there are these vertices sticking out).
Is there any way to fix this? Or does anyone know any other way of creating clothes?

# 2 17-10-2011 , 01:45 AM
Lifetime Member
If you are using Edit>Mesh>Smooth...you may have keep geo or edges ticked in the option boxes...or when you select the geo...make sure you are in object...not vertices when you smooth...that sounds more like it?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 17-10-2011 , 10:26 AM
Noober than noob

If you are using Edit>Mesh>Smooth...you may have keep geo or edges ticked in the option boxes...or when you select the geo...make sure you are in object...not vertices when you smooth...that sounds more like it?

cheers bullet

You're right, the Geometry borders were turned on in the Smooth dialogue. Thank you!
And i've seen some tutorial where people use some tools such as Seam and stuff for Garment to create clothes after the shape of the character, only that Maya's help files do not say anything about creating clothes or where i can find that dialogue. Does anyone know about where to find that menu?

# 4 17-10-2011 , 10:43 AM
Lifetime Member
I would just create the garments then turn them in ncloth...use gravity or some other feild to give them life on your character. Use nDynamics for this..then you can save your initial state in an animation. Google it too man...there are plenty on youtube etc which should give you an idea. I know not of one here in SM unless one of the older (not meant seriously) members may know of an archive. I do remember doing the Flag tutorial which touched on nCloth...useful tut.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 17-10-2011 , 10:43 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 6 17-10-2011 , 12:23 PM
Noober than noob

I would just create the garments then turn them in ncloth...use gravity or some other feild to give them life on your character. Use nDynamics for this..then you can save your initial state in an animation. Google it too man...there are plenty on youtube etc which should give you an idea. I know not of one here in SM unless one of the older (not meant seriously) members may know of an archive. I do remember doing the Flag tutorial which touched on nCloth...useful tut.

cheers bullet

I wasn't asking for cloth animation, i already know about that. The problem was actually designing the garment. (making the hole for the head and the holes for the sleeves).
Because i was always starting with a cube and turning it into a T-shirt for example on 3ds max and tried that on Maya, but due to the Geometry edge, the smoothing always left the sleeves looking like a square instead of round holes.

Or all that simplified: I don't know how to seam two surfaces together.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.
# 7 17-10-2011 , 01:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
My Surfing with the Alien tutorial covers all this

Jay

# 8 17-10-2011 , 02:15 PM
Noober than noob

My Surfing with the Alien tutorial covers all this

Jay

The alien's wearing a sleeveless shirt though, i'm trying to figure out how to make either a T-shirt or a long sleeved jacket.
Though i might try it my way again now that i can make round openings in the cube.

Edit: I figured the name of what i need to find: Cloth Shelve. Where to find it in Maya 2012?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-10-2011 at 02:29 PM.
# 9 17-10-2011 , 04:46 PM
Ahh man. wrong answer LOL

Well if its sleeveless then extrude from that point, its the seam where the sleeves would be sewn if it were a real garment.

If it were a jacket cut the front faces out and just add some thickness so it doesnt look like paper.

The principles of modelling the garment are the same for either of these objects.

I take it you have a character already modelled?? Then use that as a template, dupe the character then extract the body and arms out of the mesh, you have a garment pretty much done , a few tweaks to the mesh to make it look like a garment and you are sorted.

Really, it could not be any easier, I think you are looking to be too technical for your own good.

J

# 10 17-10-2011 , 05:36 PM
Noober than noob

Ahh man. wrong answer LOL

Well if its sleeveless then extrude from that point, its the seam where the sleeves would be sewn if it were a real garment.

If it were a jacket cut the front faces out and just add some thickness so it doesnt look like paper.

The principles of modelling the garment are the same for either of these objects.

I take it you have a character already modelled?? Then use that as a template, dupe the character then extract the body and arms out of the mesh, you have a garment pretty much done , a few tweaks to the mesh to make it look like a garment and you are sorted.

Really, it could not be any easier, I think you are looking to be too technical for your own good.

J

Yes, i already created the character (and it's smoothed too), i tried that method with copying few days ago and decided that i didn't like the way it looked.

I was trying to follow a tutorial (i don't know if i should post it here or not, might get banned if there's a rule against posting that character they have there, which is a naked woman lol) and it said i should use the Cloth shelve, but it didn't specify where to find that one.
It is done by drawing curves with snap-to-grid function and then merging them. After that, they made a copy of the front side and made the copy the back side, and then bridged it somehow with the front side so that it looked like a real T-shirt.

Thank you for the jacket tips, i'll remember that when i'll get to the jacket, because i'll have to put the jacket over the T-shirt and the char at the same time.

# 11 17-10-2011 , 06:31 PM
That sounds like the old Maya Cloth setup, not nCloth.

J

# 12 17-10-2011 , 06:43 PM
Noober than noob

That sounds like the old Maya Cloth setup, not nCloth.

J

Yeah, i'm not sure what version the person used.
Anyway, here's how far I went, just need to fix a few things and then i can turn it into nCloth and then deal with the nDynamics to make it look more like cotton, because it will look like silk at first.

Seems i have to delete something. No matter how many times i assign the char's body as Passive Collider, it will no longer collide. How do i remove things from attribute editor?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.
# 13 17-10-2011 , 07:19 PM
What do you want to remove?

If it the ncloth node or the rigid collider, you can just delete in the Outliner. Or if you want to do them in the AE, select the tab then hit the select button at the base of the AE and hit delete - done

# 14 17-10-2011 , 07:24 PM
Noober than noob

What do you want to remove?

If it the ncloth node or the rigid collider, you can just delete in the Outliner. Or if you want to do them in the AE, select the tab then hit the select button at the base of the AE and hit delete - done

I'm not sure what's causing this: The cloth no longer detects the character as the rigid body that it should be sitting on and keeps falling through. Other clothes i've made did, but this one either refuses to collide or doesn't move at all.

I have set that body as rigid body for earlier clothes that i have deleted and now i have 3 rigid body attributes in the attribute editor, but none of them will work on the new T-shirt. Would deleting those 3 fix this problem?

EDIT: Never mind, figured out that the collision was using a different nucleus (nucleus2) instead of nucleus 1. Now it collides.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-10-2011 at 07:48 PM.
# 15 17-10-2011 , 11:49 PM
Noober than noob
So now i'm trying to make the jacket, did the extrusion on the inside so that it won't look thin.
However, the edges on the bottom of the jacket don't look normal (they don't have any corners and are round). Is there any way to avoid that or do i have to work on them after smoothing later on?

If i'd turn the Geo edges on again, i'd be dealing with the sleeves and other things so i can't use that to preserve the edges.

And how do i make pockets on this thing? (sure, i could extrude some cubes out of it and then sink in the top, but then would that be a good idea?)

Attached Thumbnails